Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Gym etiquette: hogging the powerlifting station

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
microweights... wtf?

Most plates are inaccurate enough that microweights don't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

They matter to some extent. If you add microloading to inaccurate plates, you're still shifting the nominal weight and the error range around it upwards, even if that error range is larger than the microloading amount.

With programs like Rippetoe's, microloading is important to maintain progress.

For OP, you can microload the fixed barbells with chain or magnets.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point that I was making is that the barbell/plates etc will be more off than microloading will be correct unless you'll be using same plates every time. Its mostly a psychological deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand whast your saying as many gyms wieghts and bars are off. As the previous poster said with the program you increase the wieght each workout and a 5lb jump is too much for some lifts, so using micros or chains will allow smaller increments.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM

TimM,

I see what you are saying now. Personally I think the benefit is mostly psychological as your max strength can fluctuate daily and hourly. But if it appeases people. All the better for them. I'd probably be too embarrassed that I need to add weight with a key chain to actually notice anything other than the fact I have a key chain at the end of a 80 lb barbell.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:11 AM

I was overstating things with the microloading comment. Fixed barbells are probably sufficient for me at this time.

I'll stop being a pussy and just pick up the barbell of the ground when I do military presses (My upper body strength sucks so it's not like it's that heavy anyways).

In the future I'm gonna be more considerate. I can do military presses and pendlay rows with fixed weights if people want to squat. I hope they'll show me the same consideration in return.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM

"In the future I'm gonna be more considerate. I can do military presses and pendlay rows with fixed weights if people want to squat. I hope they'll show me the same consideration in return."

for the most part they won't...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still be considerate and use proper etiquette...use fixed barbells if the weight is enough, don't curl in the squat rack, lift heavy things off the floor, wipe your machines down, rack your plates and dbs, silently mock all the retards, have fun, blah blah...

and i use 1.25lb platemates for some dumbbell progressions when a 5lb jump is too large...i have to use huge rubber bands cuz the 24hr dbs are rubber and the magnets don't work well...i like them...
Old 10-09-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

for the most part they won't...but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still be considerate and use proper etiquette...use fixed barbells if the weight is enough, don't curl in the squat rack, lift heavy things off the floor, wipe your machines down, rack your plates and dbs, silently mock all the retards, have fun, blah blah, stare at the hotties...

[/ QUOTE ]