Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 AM

Default NL Stack:Bankroll Issue

Due to the cyclical nature of software development scheduling, I have once again found my poker roll relatively short compared to the stakes I play. This is a result of not having put many hours in recently at the cardroom, since I've been practically living at the office. In addition, I have the bad habit of using poker money to pay for pretty much anything besides bills.

Let's say at the beginning of my first session back, I have a roll of 800BB for a game with a min/max buy-in of 40BB. I consider this slightly risky with respect to going broke, but not nearly enough to worry me. Does anyone disagree?

Next, I tend to play reasonably long sessions if the game is good. This can obviously result in some pretty monstrous stacks in the LA gambool games. I have personally run up a 500BB stack in three hours, and a 800BB stack in a twelve hour session (Not brags, just points of reference). I have witnessed bigger stacks than this in these games, and heard of some crazy stuff. The point I'm trying to get at here is how do I deal with the case of accumulating one of these larger stacks, when it accounts for such a large amount of my bankroll?

Does anyone have any good guideline on a stack:bankroll ratio that shouldn't be exceeded?

Would anyone consider selling action in a cash game if they got too deep in order to reduce variance? Has anyone had experience with this?

Just a few other notes: I consider myself a much better deepstack player than most everyone else in these games, due to the simple fact that they probably haven't played anything but these 40BB games. I also really enjoy the deepstack aspect of poker, and dislike having to leave a good game with such a big edge.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: NL Stack:Bankroll Issue

With that roll you're better off playing 5-5NL (500max buy in) @ the bike. (Assuming your playing the 400 game @ commerce). Your swings will be smaller and you start off relatively deep compared to all the other capped games in LA. That game also plays very deep if its been going for a long time and people have no clue how to play deep stacked poker. Your winrate should be comprable to the 400 at commerce and there is no question your RoR will decrease fairly significantly if thats what your worried about. (again assuming your 800BB roll is for the 400 game if not this entire post is meaningless.)