h4 0 0%
Na3 0 0%
Nc3 0 0%
Nf3 0 0%
Nh3 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Polltarding: Help me settle fight with GF

i didn't know that the goal of mini-golf was to get the round out of the way as fast as possible. i understand there's courtesy involved with not stalling, but way B sounds like a good way to play if you hate playing mini-golf and want to do something else.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM

Seriously, I've yet to hear a good answer for the reason behind multi-colored balls.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:20 PM

way 1 is more fun than way 2
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't know that the goal of mini-golf was to get the round out of the way as fast as possible. i understand there's courtesy involved with not stalling, but way B sounds like a good way to play if you hate playing mini-golf and want to do something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

Also it seems to me that the second way would be slower. Each person on the course playing a hole individually sounds like it would be slower than each person hitting individually and then everyone walking to their balls. It doesn't really matter who is the farthest so everyone who is saying "Well then you have to figure out who is the furthest away and that takes SOOOO long" is an idiot. Whoever gets to their ball first hits it, you don't need to break out the yard sticks.

Also note that almsot everyone who plays it the "correct" way calls it mini-golf, while people who play it the wrong way (way 2/b) call it putt-putt. I refuse to play anything called "putt-putt", sounds like a Special Olympics event. I wonder if there is a difference in courses as well; on the East Coast the courses are usually fairly elaborate and it would be really boring to wait for other people to finish. Also if would be really easy to cheat (by lying about your score), which would just be gay.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM

I think #2 is the perfect balance.

One extreme is everyone playing at the same time, which is just too chaotic.

And the other extreme would be, play the game to completion by yourself (all 18 holes) then the next guy does.

I think way 2 is alot like bowling, one player finishes their frame, then the next player finishes his frame.

Way 1 would be like everyone rolling their damn bowling balls at the same time.

I think way number 1 is actually for people who don't really wanna play the game in any sort of competitive manner, that way after they lose they can bitch about how it was just cause their balls got knocked.

If you play way 2 nobody can blame anything on anybody but themselves.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you play way 2 nobody can blame their loss on anybody but their own inability to cheat properly since no one is watching them play or gives a flying [censored] what's going on so it's easy to shave strokes

[/ QUOTE ]

way A has absolutely dominated the argument and has begun to dominate the poll. way B is anti-social and anti-fun.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Seems like you need to let your gf go, she's obviously pretty stupid.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 PM

i prefer method A by default. i think playing in that way is more interactive and fun, because unless i'm in a close race toward the end of the set i don't find it very interesting to watch people take multiple shots in a row. especially if the talent pool is low. and even if i don't care about relative positions or the quality of others' shots, i can at least look forward to my next turn while quickly watching how things evolve.

with fairly coordinated players, i think i'd like to have the furthest shot go first. that could be worse if one or more players suck, though, for the reasons i cited above.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:03 PM

There's two ways clearly.
#1: You want to play for fun.
#2: You want to play for $ or a serious competition.

The rules are usually #1 but if there were money involved I would only do it if it were played like #2. If you want to do #2 when playing a friendly game with your g/f, you suck at life.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Pro Putters Assoc. has a rule book online. And it states that one player plays the entire hole and then the next player does.

http://www.proputters.com/downloads/..._Book_2003.pdf

Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea there was a "pro putters association" ([censored] dorks), but yeah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made some pretty fair change as a member of PPA from 1978-1982. We played tournaments for cash. The rule was everybody putted in turn based on who had "honors." To get honors, for the 1st hole of the tourney, each player putted toward the hole--the player whose ball was the closest got to go first. For subsequent holes, the player who won a hole most recently had "honors," and kept putting first until the other player won a hole.