Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Adult Sports Leagues

This is only my second attempt at an adult sports league. The first almost doesn't count because it was a bunch of college kids playing together in a basketball league, but we won the league and it inspired my "Proudest sports moment" thread about 2 years ago.

That was a one time thing, but now it's getting more serious with everyone being graduated and having nothing to do at nights. Right now we play in a dodgeball league (and blow so any strategy is appreciated) and are signing up for a softball league that starts in a few weeks. Not sure about co-ed or all male b/c we don't have many female softball playing friends.

All of these league have been through churches since the YMCA's here seem to be slacking on everything.

So, who else plays, what do you play, and with who?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Adult Sports Leagues

what city do you live in?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 PM

mmbt,

In Atlanta I played on a few different Atlanta Club Sport leagues that were a blast (Softball, Soccer, Flag Football) of various levels ranging from recreational/suck to very competitive.

ALTA is great if you're a serious tennis player, I played in various ALTA leagues/events.

This list seems pretty good for Atlanta sports.

BTW, I obviously think you live in Atlanta, hopefully I'm right.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 PM

ED,

No doubt. My stepmom plays in an ALTA league and I had a lot of experience with those guys when I was working at the GT tennis center. I've never tried playing seriously but I think my new condo complex has a tennis court. If they do I might start getting into it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:17 PM

In dodgeball, I dont know what kind of gym you are playing in but you want to throw at the other team straight forward. In other words do not throw the ball diagonal at your opponents. If the gym is really large it might not make a difference, but if it's smaller it will increase the chance that the ball will bounce back to you and the other team cant get it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:22 PM

I used to play at an indoor soccer center. Definitely worth doing and co-ed teams can be fun but obviously aren't very competitive. The co-ed team was kind of annoying since everyone always wanted to go out for a beer afterwards and i was mainly playing for the work out.

I have some friends that play roller hockey as well and have really enjoyed it. Every major city should have at least a couple of sports clubs like diablo linked. This one Atlanta Silverbacks seems to have some decent fields.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 PM

Used to do basketball leagues with my friends, but when our tallest player was 6-1 (we're all Jewish) there is nothing you can do.

I've heard of softball beer leagues and I'm intrigued by them. Kegs all around the field sounds awesome. Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM

I play Adult Softball through my city and baseball in the Twin Cities Adult Men's Baseball League. A lot of fun.

Adult Softball is a heck of a lot of fun, even if you aren't that great. Go to your city's parks and rec department, you should be able to sign-up as a free agent and get assigned to a team of free agents or a team needing more players.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 AM

I currently play co-ed softball through the local P&R department. Its fun and surprisingly competitive. In my personal experience, co-ed softball is better than all guys.

I also play rec league basketball in the worlds largest basketball league:
http://www.portlandbasketball.com/index.html

SomethingClever is on the team as well. It is a blast and very competitive. We are in the D league, but play C league teams from time to time. We have won the D league twice, which was sick. The A/B level is really good. Jerome Kersey plays on a A/B level team. Tons of ex college guys from the area play at that level. Some even get paid to play!

I would like to get on a soccer team, but I don't think I have the time.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 AM

I play in a softball league right now. It's pretty fun overall, although our team isn't great this year. I'm out there for the exercise mainly, and the thrill of making the occasional great defensive play.

Word of advice - F co-ed man. Don't bother with it. You can have 10 girls on the roster, and I guarantee every game you'll be scrambling to get them to show up. It's a huge headache and pain in my experience. Even worse, co-ed leagues are basically won by the teams who have the best girls, so if you don't have 5 legit girls who can hit, you have no shot. Doesn't matter how good your guys are.

So, get a bunch of buddies together, have a couple of practices, and get into the lowest level softball league you can. The kind where you pack a beer or two into the dugout for during the game. I think that's pretty fun.

Some of my friends play higher level softball, but during the summer every weekend they're playing in tournaments, and they always complain about it being a time suck, so I say the more informal the league the better.