Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: bodybuilding.....is there any \"sport\" less healthy?

OP: Bodybuilding done properly is probably one of the healthier sports. I know a lot of guys who are natural BB's who are a lot more healthy than I am. They also don't let themselves go on gorges "off-season" or require such drastic measures pre-contest.

I also know some guys taking roids or prohormones that are pretty damn healthy and very smart about doing everything they can to alleviate side effects or monitor problems.

Unfortuanetly, you have some guys who take it too far/don't know enough about health to BB safe. You want to read a cool book on it, read Muscle- Confessions of a body builder. Can't remember who wrote it, but it's very intriguing on some of the author's side effects from his fanatical drug use/exercise programs.

I'd say a lot of people think pro football is less healthy than bodybuilding, but it all depends on how far/how stupid a natural or drug assisted BBer is.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 PM

"I also know some guys taking roids or prohormones that are pretty damn healthy and very smart about doing everything they can to alleviate side effects or monitor problems."

yeah you can be healthy and take them im sure but your not going to be a top bodybuilder because of the high levels of drugs they take to stay huge. being 5'9 300 pounds ripped is tough on the ol heart.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 PM

Root,

There are other leagues etc. But yeah I do agree with you essentially. For real pro bodybuilders (No offense to any "semi-pro" athletes, but making 30k a year playing AFL2 does not constitute "pro" here it seems) they are forced into a horrid lifestyle. I'm still unsure of whether bench type players who just get used up in the NFL are worse off or not.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Yeah I dont know as much about the nfl as I do about bodybuilders. NFL will [censored] you up too. But as I am thinking it messes up your knees, back, etc. Bodybuilding messes with your internal organs and stuff.

Two of my friends that were on vitamin S pretty big, one had a heart attack, and the other had a stroke. These guys were only 23.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah you can be healthy and take them im sure but your not going to be a top bodybuilder because of the high levels of drugs they take to stay huge. being 5'9 300 pounds ripped is tough on the ol heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any pro bodybuilders, only have some friends that do a few shows and know some guys online I talk to a bunch about the thing. For what it's worth, I also call pretty much everyone who trains for looks a bodybuilder just because I think it is the most fitting term in what they are trying to accomplish goal wise. Lot of difference though in the way I train (think MH cover model for my type of goals...well, back before, now they just put on actors) as a bodybuilder and the way some drugged up dudes do.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM

I think alot of people realize how unhealthy or at least how unatural Bodybuilding can be for the body.

What I think gets off Scott free are some of the endurance sports (Marathon, Half and Iron man triathlons, I'm assuming competitive cycling)

As more research is done in to the comptitive levels, doctors are finding increased instances of renal problems from dehydration, short-term and perhaps longer decrease of neurological functions from oxygen deprivation, liver and digestive problems from the overall taxation of the system etc. This is in addition to the typically associated problems of degenerative knee, hip and ankle problems.

Its probably fine for the average person, but my guess is that the average doctor would warn you about overdoing a bodybuilding diet long before he would warn you about the threats of overtraing for endurance sports.