Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Default AJo first in

What is the correct way to play this hand? Lead the flop or go for a c/r? Live 3/6 9 players.

Hero was MP and had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raised was first in. The next player 3-bet, CO called, OTB called, BB called.

Flop was J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players, 10 sb)

Hero checked, MP checked, CO checked, OTB bet, BB folded, hero raised, MP called, CO folded, OTB called.

Hero should have led the flop?

Turn was Qd (3 player)

Hero checked, MP checked, OTB bet, Hero called, MP called. hero should have bet.

River was Kc (3 players)

Hero checked, MP bet and OTB called hero folded.

MP showed A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and won. OTB showed J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: AJo first in

I like the flop c/r but would have bet/folded the turn. I like c/ring the flop as opposed to donking it since you can get away from it pretty easily if you're 3bet and you have a decent chance of limiting the field if the action goes like it did.

If you donk the flop, you are pretty much stuck to calling down in most cases since villain could be playing 99/TT/AK/AQ like this (and firing the turn as well for a free SD).
Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks - I felt the flop c/r was best and afterward I felt that I should have bet/folded the turn in case he had AQ. If OTB had not bet MP would have gotten a free card!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 PM

Lets say you bet the turn, and he calls again. Now river comes a "safe" card, do you bet again here?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you bet the turn, and he calls again. Now river comes a "safe" card, do you bet again here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I bet any safe card on the river - I would have bet an safe card on the hand as played (ck/call turn) - I read him for AK since he called my flop ck/r and only called the turn.

With 2 opponents it is harder to determine what a safe card is - if I had bet the turn OTB might have folded and that would give me a lot more safe cards -

For sure any Ace or Jack is safe. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] and any card between a 2 and 7 are most likely safe. 8,9,T are iffy so I would most likely check one of those.

edit - this points out why I should have led the turn or as played I should have c/r the turn. I needed to get one or both players to fold here.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Checkraising the flop is cool as long as the players behind you are aggressive enough. You have, relatively speaking, a monster hand. The board is fairly drawless (gutshots, K, Q) and we expect the 3-bettor to follow up.

Bet the turn

If it's still 3 handed maybe check and see what happens on the river, since that card is atrocious.

Your results mean nothing in the analysis as long as you play correctly.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checkraising the flop is cool as long as the players behind you are aggressive enough. You have, relatively speaking, a monster hand. The board is fairly drawless (gutshots, K, Q) and we expect the 3-bettor to follow up.

Bet the turn

If it's still 3 handed maybe check and see what happens on the river, since that card is atrocious.

Your results mean nothing in the analysis as long as you play correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the turn was correct - thanks - one reason that I checked was to get a better feel for the PFR hand - I felt that he would bet AQ and check AK. I turned out to be right - but it does not mean that it is always correct to check the turn - long term a bet is better - I know that now.

Results is not important.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 PM

I like a flop bet because you want the preflop 3-bettor to raise again. Can't necessarily count on someone in late position betting it so you can c/r. As played, definitely lead turn.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM

I like the flop C/R. That said, you must bet the turn. The Q isn't a great card, but it's not that bad.

I would fold the river as played. There was a bet and a call to you and there's a good chance you're beaten. I muck it.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a flop bet because you want the preflop 3-bettor to raise again. Can't necessarily count on someone in late position betting it so you can c/r. As played, definitely lead turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to get a read on the 3-beter. I wanted to see if he would now bet a hand like AA-QQ. However, if he bet I would not know as much as a check would. When he checked and called my c/r I figured that he had TT-? or AK, AQ.

After all the replies I know agree that I needed to bet the turn.

Thanks

about 65% of the replies were for a flop bet and 35% for a c/r.