Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Default $3/6 live - pocket Kings - raise an Ace on flop?

just went through a rack in like 30 minutes at a $3/6 table live. I rebuy just in time to get pocket Kings in late position. I raise preflop, 4 players call.

Flop: A 10 6

Early position bets, one caller, I raise. 2 callers.

Turn: blank. checks around.

River: blank. Early position bets, i call.

I must say i didnt really have a solid read on early position player, but i figured raising flop was better than just calling or folding.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: $3/6 live - pocket Kings - raise an Ace on flop?

I just fold to the donk bet on the flop. You have a bet and a call with two left to act behind. Kings no good or at least not good often enough to call or raise here.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 AM

fold flop. not only are you probably beat, but you're drawing way thin if you are. bet this flop if checked to, but this situation is clear fold, imo.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:38 PM

Is folding this flop giving up too easy here? I actually like OP's play for the most part.

OP-on your River cry call, did the other players call as well or did they fold after you called?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

fold the flop. Save yourself some money. As a general rule at the 3/6 table, when the aggressor changes, in this case from you to the guy in early position, it usually that his hand was improved.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:03 PM

your hand isn't worth much when the ace comes. unless you know he would bet a Ten as well as an ace the flop is a fold. certainly not a raise. why stop him from bluffing or betting a ten if that's what he's doing?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM

This is easier to play if I have a read on ep. Has he donk bet second pair on the flop before? That being said, with this many players in the hand someone has an Ace most of the time and you're drawing to 2 outs. Your raise is not going to fold a hand that beats yours, it's just going to throw more money away. Save your chips for a better spot.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:11 PM

So with a big pocket pair and someone betting into us on a A high flop we fold? I must admit, I fold here almost never so I've probably got a huge leak in my game...

We're getting 12:1 and if I understand the action, closing the flop. If we have a back door flush draw I think this is an easy call as we'd have about 4 outs (2 Aces, 1.5 backdoor flush, 0.5 backdoor straight). If down to 2.5 outs can we make up, what, 4.5 BB against only 2 players? Probably not, but it might be kinda close; close enough especially if better was betting a flush draw or a Ten or just plain retarded. I think I see the turn here. I probably don't raise, unless villain likes to bet out on draws in which case I'd probably spew pretty badly here...

GseeingtheturnfarmoreoftenthanheshouldG
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM

I feel alright folding this on the flop. I feel like i've been conditiioned by some posters to say "don't give up this easy" but I am alright with a fold here.

It's a little unclear from the action but if it's to you with a better, a caller, and players left to act, with that many to the flop, I think you're up against an A most of the time.

How would you play the hand it it was KQ and the flop came A K 6? It's the same hand in many ways, but I think too many times we're reluctant to get rid of KK when all signs point to second best.

I don't think you're play was bad, a read on ep would really be helpful. My gut is telling me to lay it down on the flop though.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How would you play the hand it it was KQ and the flop came A K 6? It's the same hand in many ways, but I think too many times we're reluctant to get rid of KK when all signs point to second best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 12:1, wouldn't this hand also be an easy easy call too? We have 2 solids outs (Kings), 3 pretty damn good outs (Queens) plus throw in a backdoor straight draw and I think we can count 4 solid outs here, no? FWIW, I think I'd peel the flop with 62 in this second example too getting 12:1; is that super bad or super standard?