Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 06:04 AM

Default 1/2 NL live, flop decision with AA

I'm on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] with $140. After 2 limpers, I raise to $12, BB, who seems like a sensible player, with $190 calls as well as the 2 limpers (suppose I should have raised to at least $15, but this was a relatively passive live table and most PF raises were $6 or $7).

Flop ($43) is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $20, both PF limp-callers fold, Hero raises to $40, BB goes all-in, Hero ???
Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Re: 1/2 NL live, flop decision with AA

call
Old 07-15-2007, 12:03 PM

I want to say call also, but I'm trying to figure out if he does this with the K or the FD, and I don't think it looks too good.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:16 PM

The sensible players at 1/2 live are few and far between. I'm pretty happy to make a call here against a K or the FD. Most live 1/2 players are not playing an 8 this way.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM

beat him into the pot
Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM

My experience with live play is you have to way over bet. A $12 dollar bet in $1/$2 would not chase anybody away.

I made a $25 dollar raise one time and still got two callers. One of them called with 10Js, paired he jack and went all in with me. He caught another jack on the river and took down the pot. So you have to make craze size raises to get anybody out live.

In your case it's a tough call without really knowing the person. He might perceive your $12 dollar bet as weak and think his paired kings are good. I doubt he would go ai with FD.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm not the typical 1/2 NL player, because I would play an 8 exactly the same way the BB did.

After much thought, I folded the hand. There were 3 callers, BB was an above-average player, in my game most players only do a PF raise with AA-TT or AK-AQ. I could only see a good player re-raise all-in with AK or 8 (FD with pair or straight draw is impossible on this hand). Had there been 1 or 2 callers, I definitely would have called, but I see a lot of flopped trips when there are multiple callers in my games, so that influenced my thinking.

I think calling wouldn't have been a bad play, though, so maybe next time.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:32 PM

Based on your read of him being a sensible player I think a fold is OK. If he was an unknown live player I think calling is probably good as he might go all-in with top pair.

Assuming he was sensible and your image wasn't laggy, he wouldn't do this without a good hand. AK, possibly, but nothing worse. If you had a laggy image that increases the likelyhood he would do this with AK or possibly worse...