Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Default $6 buyin micro MTT, 331 entries, 4 players left, A6 os, first to act

Last night I played an MTT on Paradise Poker -$6.60 buy in, 331 entries. We're down to the last 4.
approx pay out structure last 4:
1. $536
2. $340
3. $230
4. $155

approx stack sizes
UTG: me 75,000 holding A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
B: 210,000
SB: 80,000
BB: 130,000

ante 500 SB 4,000 BB 8,000 will go up in a few minutes
Pot 14,000

I've clawed my way up from 40,000 with 3 all in moves in the last 8 hands, all of which got folded round (remarkebly enough). I sense that people are getting fed up with my blindstealing and I won't get away with another attempt without getting one or more calls.

What to do? fold, call, raise half my stack or shove?

NB: I shoved, got called by SB holding A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and lost

I tormented myself afterwards thinking I did the wrong thing by moving all in. Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: $6 buyin micro MTT, 331 entries, 4 players left, A6 os, first to act

you can fold there, frequently it's a shove but you'll get called by a wider range of hands that have you whipped (ie AT and 88) since you have been all in 3 of the last 8.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: $6 buyin micro MTT, 331 entries, 4 players left, A6 os, first to a

Whatever you do don't limp and don't raise half your stack...
Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 PM

This is push/fold territory and this is a fold. This is a perfect example of how players with lots of SNG experience and ICM knowledge have a huge advantage at this point in the tournament. When you get called, it's going to be by an ace that has you dominated a large % of the time.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM

Is that really a fold given the antes/blinds 4 handed? I've gotta believe that pushing is fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Standard push.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that really a fold given the antes/blinds 4 handed? I've gotta believe that pushing is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
especially at this limit people are more willing to call "out of spite" with something like AT or even A8 when someone raised 5 of 10 hands. I'd say there's more value pushing 56 sooted in that spot since you're very likely to be live if you do get called. You can afford to fold a few more hands if only just to give the impression that you're not pushing with any 2, then push with any 2 (almost).
Fold equity is what you're looking for, if waiting 1 more round gets you more then you're probably better off.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Yeah, in all seriousness, at this limit, A6o, while tempting, is a fold UTG. You're just not going to get someone to lay down A7 or A8, 66, or a variety of hands that you just barely beat.

Given the action you have been giving, it's time to switch down with the A6. I realize that the blinds are big, but I find that sometimes you need to ignore the standard push ranges, especially at this level, and just quiet down a little with your weak aces, wait an orbit, and then make another push (barring hitting a strong hand; any pair, really, stronger aces, KJ+). I'd rather push here with J10 than A6.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice, in this specific situation I realise there's a strong case for folding, this is helpful.

Also helpful to read that calling or raise of half my stack are no option, afterwards my first thought was that I should have done a stop n go laying it down if it got raised before the flop. However I think A6o is probably not a good candidate for stop n go in this situation. Now I hope I will fold it in similar situations (given the action I gave earlier).