Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 12:26 PM

Default 1/2 Live - A good River?

Villian has been at the table for about an hour. He's not the worst player I've ever seen but he seems to be a bit of a calling station. I have not seen him raise PF, and I've only really seen him bet on later streets with good hands. He has about $350 and I have him covered.

I open limped in MP1 with 77. Maybe 1 or 2 other callers. Villain raised to 15 from BB. I call and everyone else folds.

The flop is 89T rainbow. Villian checks, and I check. Here is my reasoning for checking behind: I had him on AA-TT, AK, or AQs. With AA-TT, he would checkraise. With overcards he would almost definitely call. I gave myself a close to 0% chance of taking down the pot at that point. So my plan was to wait for a safe turn card and then bet if checked to and decide whether to call a bet depending on size.

Turn is a Q which I do not see as a safe card, as I am now only ahead of AK. He checks again, and I check again pretty much having given up on the pot and just hoping to get a free showdown.

The river is a 7. Villian bets $35. What do I do? Easy call, right?
Old 05-28-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Live - A good River?

Easy call if not a raise. If he was that tight, the only hand that has you beat is QQ here. He would not raise with TT prolly. I would raise like 60 more or something, or if your instincts are really strong, just smooth call. I put him on AA or KK here and I think he put you on A7 or Axs.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy call if not a raise. If he was that tight, the only hand that has you beat is QQ here. He would not raise with TT prolly. I would raise like 60 more or something, or if your instincts are really strong, just smooth call. I put him on AA or KK here and I think he put you on A7 or Axs.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising is the worst thing to do here. it is so bad. do you not see how horrible this board is?

the question is whether to call or fold. i am leaning towards folding here. especially with the read you have.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 AM

i would insta call this. folding is horrible and raising probably only gets called by a better hand.

i think u played the hand fine throughout, though i would raise preflop more times than not, depending on the table dynamics
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 AM

Definite call. I could never fold this, and I can't believe anyone would.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 AM

77 and Q2o have basically the same value here on the river, you only beat bluffs
Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 AM

It's a close one, but with it being a pot sized bet, I don't know, I'd have to be there. The sick part is, as already stated, that we only beat a few hands, AA,KK,AK & AQ. The Q on the turn was quite a kill card and would have been a great place for the villain to push us off our hand with any bet, but with his low aggression, I would consider a fold on this river, but may still call based on my reads and feel. Sounds like he has AK though and you are good.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
77 and Q2o have basically the same value here on the river, you only beat bluffs

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very wrong. what about AA and KK, let alone the more likely AQ? and hero has shown no strength throughout this hand so a bluff is more likely. and this is live: people do goofy things. so calling here with a set is standard in my opinion.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM

I have to call here... I can't find a raise or fold.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very wrong. what about AA and KK, let alone the more likely AQ? and hero has shown no strength throughout this hand so a bluff is more likely. and this is live: people do goofy things. so calling here with a set is standard in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

you think he's betting AA, KK or AQ very often here after playing the previous 2 streets so passive?

I think AQ is the most likely of the 3 but still unlikely, I doubt many players at this level will turn a showdownable hand into a bluff

Q2o maybe slightly weaker than 77 here, but this is a spot where people get attached to their hand ranking and not so much about villians range

OMG i have a set I can't fold, when its really just a bluff catcher