Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Why won\'t all the states just opt out

I realize there will be significant public pressure but still it would seem that they will either be coming with their hand out or just opt out of Frank's law.

Though I think the real benefit of Frank's law is repealing previous legislation.

I know some people know more about this than I do so am anxious to hear people's opinion.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Why won\'t all the states just opt out

picture a trough.

ok ok...now picture a bunch of pigs wearing US colors.

got it? u sure? think harder.

pour some money in the trough, with the bucket labeled "RAKE FROM GAMBLING SITES"

zomg wait. wait. am i being annoying yet? cuz ur annoying.

ok now what do u think will happen when the piggies see the monies in their food trough. wtf wow. light bulb?!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:42 PM

The states aren't so much against gambling as they are against gambling they don't get paid on. 48 states have some form of gambling. Additionally, when state lawmakers see that the feds are giving them the option to 'allow' gambling and that they can't stop it anyway, they're more likely to get on board.

A state like Utah is obviously a different story.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:10 PM

States opting out will not bring the US into compliance with the WTO!!!! The WTO may except the opt outs for Hawaii and Utah since they have no gambling..Beyond those 2 it's a guessing game..

I think a better question would be why would a State opt out and do the States have the right to opt out???
Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it douche day and I just didn't get the memo?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
States opting out will not bring the US into compliance with the WTO!!!! The WTO may except the opt outs for Hawaii and Utah since they have no gambling..Beyond those 2 it's a guessing game..

I think a better question would be why would a State opt out and do the States have the right to opt out???

[/ QUOTE ]

The Frank bill allows opt outs supposedly I guess part of my question is can they opt out for just internet gaming and still have horse racing and lottery.

I think I can answer why they will opt out, because they won't benefit from it and it is not positive for their constituents. My understanding is that giving the states the right to opt out does comply with the WTO because the precedent is already set with Utah and Hawaii but I could be wrong.

This article suggests that it is not the 48 state rule like you guys are saying

http://www.ogpaper.com/news/news-0283.html

This article seems to say that if you are in Louisiana and Internet Gambling is prohibited there you will not be able to play.

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press...ss042607.shtml
Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Frank bill allows opt outs supposedly I guess part of my question is can they opt out for just internet gaming and still have horse racing and lottery.

I think I can answer why they will opt out, because they won't benefit from it and it is not positive for their constituents. My understanding is that giving the states the right to opt out does comply with the WTO because the precedent is already set with Utah and Hawaii but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the eyes of the WTO states have no rights...This is well documented..The US or any other country can not "hide" behind States and/or regional laws..The US signed an agreement that bonds the entire nation...
Old 11-16-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
picture a trough.

ok ok...now picture a bunch of pigs wearing US colors.

got it? u sure? think harder.

pour some money in the trough, with the bucket labeled "RAKE FROM GAMBLING SITES"

ok now what do u think will happen when the piggies see the monies in their food trough. wtf wow. light bulb?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Remind me never to answer any questions you might have.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:50 PM

I hear you with that but looking at the Barney Frank bill which Annie Duke repeatedly talked about it would seem sites like Full Tilt and Poker Stars are left in the cold.

So forget the WTO for just a second, this bill does not address our problems and specifically says it will track players on IP address.

That doesn't seem good.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you with that but looking at the Barney Frank bill which Annie Duke repeatedly talked about it would seem sites like Full Tilt and Poker Stars are left in the cold.

So forget the WTO for just a second, this bill does not address our problems and specifically says it will track players on IP address.

That doesn't seem good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not understand your question???? What problems and what's wrong with IP tracking????