Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: What mental skills or functions would you say are important in pok

1) clairvoyance
2) X-ray vision
Old 08-21-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: What mental skills or functions would you say are important in pok

Pattern recognition
Mindset

I'm guessing that at the higher levels, fast REM or range, equity, maximization calcuations (obviously they will be estimations, but they need to be good ones) start becoming a lot more important. This my prove to be my weakness.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: What mental skills or functions would you say are important in poker?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. Greed
2. Determinatioin
3. Patience
4. Persistence

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

I think greed is more of a liability than an asset.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have used avarice but wanted to leave the religious connatation out of it : From my perspective greed is a desire to obtain more money or material possessions than one is considered to need.

If you aren't greedy then you must be needy, scared money is hard to keep.

Jimbo
Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: What mental skills or functions would you say are important in poker?

1. DISCIPLINE
2. DISCIPLINE
3. DISCIPLINE
4. pattern recognition
5. math skills for pot odds / draw calculations
6. focus

character related ( don't know if they qualify as mental skills )
1. patience
2. humility
Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Well now we are talking Semantics. So, let’s use the Dictionary Definition of greed. "Greed is selfish, excessive or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of money, wealth, food, or other possessions". I think the word uncontrolled says it all. Greed can harm good judgment, and I think you will find most successful pro poker players have little greed.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What mental skills or functions would you say are important in poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Pyrokinesis
2) Vulcan mind meld
3) Unlimited capacity for boredom
4) Imagination (ability to mentally undress hot Vegas waitresses)
6) Towering ego
9) Ability to count
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What mental skills or functions would you say are important in poker?

Below is a list of what I've come up with so far. Please add on. Also, please list what you believe to be the most important mental skill(s)/function(s). I'm looking to improve in every category.

In order from most to least important:

1. Focus
2. Remaining calm (so tilt doesn't set in)
3. Ability to think fast and respond quickly
4. Memory

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe no one has mentioned intelligence yet. Maybe it's politically incorrect or something, but I don't think a lot of people with an IQ of 105 are going to be great poker players.

Sometimes I listen to the academic and other accomplishments of the players at a final TV table, and you know that the players are very smart when you hear things like (not exact quote, but close enough):

Ph.D. in computer science and artificial intelligence (Jesus).

1550 out of 1600 on SAT (David Williams)

Graduated from high school early, and from Duke in two years (Rene Russo).

As they say in MENSA, "Intelligence isn't everything, but it's not nothing either."
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well now we are talking Semantics. So, let’s use the Dictionary Definition of greed. "Greed is selfish, excessive or uncontrolled desire for or pursuit of money, wealth, food, or other possessions". I think the word uncontrolled says it all. Greed can harm good judgment, and I think you will find most successful pro poker players have little greed.

[/ QUOTE ]

let me see, I carefully explained how I intended my use of the word greed to be interpreted in context and you pull out a specific dictionary definition (one of many in case you had to search for the one you liked) and say it is only semantics?. I am pretty sure you have no clue as to what it takes to win at poker but good luck with that dictionary.

Here are some for you from dictionary.com:

1. excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions
2. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth
3. excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves
2. reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: avarice]

Now that I've searched 5 online dictionaries I see none of them uses "uncontrolled" I think you are the one with a fantasy and lack of control.

Like it or not greed is important to be a winning poker player

Jimbo
Old 08-26-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

let me see, I carefully explained how I intended my use of the word greed to be interpreted in context and you pull out a specific dictionary definition (one of many in case you had to search for the one you liked) and say it is only semantics?. I am pretty sure you have no clue as to what it takes to win at poker but good luck with that dictionary.

Here are some for you from dictionary.com:

1. excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions
2. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth
3. excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves
2. reprehensible acquisitiveness; insatiable desire for wealth (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: avarice]

Now that I've searched 5 online dictionaries I see none of them uses "uncontrolled" I think you are the one with a fantasy and lack of control.

Like it or not greed is important to be a winning poker player

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Jugging by your ranting and raving over the word Semantics, your rudeness, and insults, I would say you lack that self-control. By the way, here is a link for the word greed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed
Its 1st site that comes up when you Google the word.

I don't like or dislike it but greed is a bad quality for poker.
Say what you will I will not be interested in responding to you anymore, as you are rude.

I find it amusing that some people are so insulting over the net. If you were within my reach I’m sure you would be less arrogant.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it amusing that some people are so insulting over the net. If you were within my reach I’m sure you would be less arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it amusing that you believe that. I find it very amusing that you don't even understand that Wikipedia's are inherently unreliable since anyone of the frigging planet can makeup whatever they like and insert it into the entry. I would venture a guess that you edited this entry just to justify your purpose, either use a dictionary definition or troll elsewhere.

Jimbo

PS: Don't believe me? Now look at the entry you linked! LOL