Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Why won\'t all the states just opt out

Dave, I agree with your entire post. I hope that you are 100% correct about the WTO protecting its viability.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:20 PM

me 2, to me the WTO angle is a homerun. The Wexler bill is a triple and everything else is just being in the ballpark.

I actually think the Frank Bill in its current form is a big loss for players that play on sites right now. If free trade in the US means that we can't play where we have been playing then I doubt anyone supports this.

If the likes of Harrah's and MGM eventually come in that is fine but if you talk to online players and ask them the worst day for them in online poker many of them will tell you when Party Poker left. And they still feel that way until this day.

Unfortunately, I believe the Frank bill is the one that can be passed because it doesn't piss off the states. In other words, from my chair, the biggest 3 supporters of the PPA, Party Poker, Full Tilt and Poker Stars, get the shaft while big American Corps get to come in and rake us to death.

I hope I am wrong but I doubt I am.

Go WTO
Old 11-18-2007, 03:51 PM

Beanie, without the WTO, no bill will have a chance until at least 2009. Even then, the Frank bill would be less than 50/50 and I agree with you that it does not improve the situation.
So the backup plan to the WTO is litigation. The iMEGA case, the BetOnSports case and the case by Mr. Rousso against the State of Washington's ban on Internet gambling are the beginning of this litigation. I think that if the WTO fails to cause positive change and the present litigation fails, then by 2009-2010, the PPA should iniate an action for declaratory judgment that seeks to have online poker declared legal under federal law.
However, the work that the PPA is doing in the political arena, especially at the state level, is very important to keep the situation from getting worse. Thus, in the beginning of 2008, I will be renewing and upgrading my membership to a higher level than my current full membership.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:55 PM

tell me where to sign? That isn't the issue. I think we need to be very clear about what we are and what we are against and any law that makes poker players criminals ANYWHERE the PPA should be against.