FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

Willingham should not be fired, nor should Croom (Beating Bama at home would not be a major surprise, by the way. That game will be a tossup.) The Callahan situation is pretty amazing. How do you [censored] up that bad at a traditional power? I'm also amazed at how bad Pitt is this year. I thought they were recruiting at a pretty high level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regrettably for Husky haters, Ty will definitely get as many more years as he wants, while he continues rebuilding the program to the level of respectability it used to have.

Wanny has done quite well on the recruiting trail, as he's plucked away lots of top talent from W. PA that would otherwise end up in JoePa's hands. His game day abilities and skill with developing players is what's being questioned now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get your hopes up on Willingham being fired. You are stuck with Weis, so don't get too excited at being able to hire a good coach like Willingham back at Notre Dame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm amazed at the defense that TW gets around this board. His final two recruiting classes are the reason ND had the fewest returning lettermen in Div 1A. His last two classes he only recruited three (3) offensive linemen, only one of whom is starting.

The Ty Willingham Fact Sheet

If Ty were allowed another year at ND, the damage done would have rendered the program irrelevant for at least the next decade.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who would (genuinely) rather have Willingham instead of Weis as their H.C. needs to have their head examined. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]
Willingham is an excellent coach, both in terms of on-field team management, and in terms of his ability to build a program. Look at what he did at Stanford, and ACTUALLY LOOK at what he's doing with Washington. I guess he sucked at Notre Dame... in the sense that he only took them to BCS bowl games... I can not comprehend how anyone could possibly think Weiss is better for a program in any way than Willingham.

The hate for Willingham that I see on this board baffles me. I mean I hate him too, but that's just because he's such a thorn in the Ducks' side. He led Stanford to the win that cost us an undefeated 2001 season and a national title shot, and now he's rebuilding our most hated rivals. [censored] Jake Locker. Yeah, Willingham can't recruit.

Examine away, but my head is just fine.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 PM

If I were in charge:

#1 Bye bye wannstedt. Coaches terribly. Seen no signs of recruits developing.
#2 Carr is really awful and should've been fired years ago. Hell, he never should've been hired. It's easy to have Michigan #2 in the Big11Ten every year. That shouldn't be an accomplishment the administration is happy with achieving.
#3 Goodbye Nutt. Chased away the offensive genius hired to get recruits. Personal issues. Too combatative.
#4 Franchione is out of here--non-competitive losses are too tough to swallow.

Robinson deserves to go, but it's tough to only give a coach 3 years. He better impress next season.

Orgeron deserves another year or two. Let's see how he does with 4 full years of his recruits. It won't help the program to go another direction.

I give Mike Stoops one more year since he did recognize and overhaul his offense. Let's see if it can come together next year.

Ty--laughable he's on the list--I'm guessing they beat Hawai'i too.

Bowden and FSU are nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. They've been as good as Notre Lame the last 3 years, but haven't had that over-rated schedule.

Guy Morriss is good. Baylor just shouldn't have football.

Callahan-Cosgrove-Childress trifecta
well the trio succeeded at Illinois under White in the early 80s by raiding California JUCOs for thugs. They succeeded at Wisconsin in the early 90s by raiding gang-bangers where other schools backed away. My question is: Does Callahan have a place to raid in the current environment? Given the #5, #20, and #13 recruiting classes locked up the previous 3 years and a current top10 standing, I have to give this set of coaches the 5 years to put things in place.

My main philosophy is that every coach deserves 5 years. That's how long the whole turnover takes for it to be his regime. Only in extreme cases should that be violated. I wonder how Ty at ND or Zook at Florida would've done if they got their whole 5 years.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that Bill is going to get the axe. Not that NE is my favorite team, but I still don't mind seeing them do well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the extension they just gave him? Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

They just fired the man responsible for giving him the extension. It doesn't take a fortune teller to see whats coming next.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Willingham is an excellent coach, both in terms of on-field team management

[/ QUOTE ]
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
1st and 10 at BC 35 Darius Walker (ND) rushed up the middle for 4 yards.
2nd and 6 at BC 31 Brady Quinn (ND) pass right side complete to Anthony Fasano (ND) for 1 yard.
3rd and 5 at BC 30 Brady Quinn (ND) pass incomplete to the left side.
4th and 5 at BC 30 Punt by D.J. Fitzpatrick (ND) no return by Eagles.
</pre><hr />

You will never be able to convince me of this.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 PM

Re-Will callahan get fired despite the contract extension?

-yes, I think there is a very good chance that he will get axed. Despite the past few years, NE is NOT a place where you want to do [censored] in college football. When you see people leaving at halftime by the thousands, you have a serious problem with the boosters/supporters of Husker nation.

I could post for hours on the problems of bill callahan and his regime. I'll say this- they don't know how to develop players well at all. true freshman are burning their redshirts and yet won't have a chance to play until the third or fourth year of the program. we have all the projected 'talent' in the world and yet, these players fail to ever come to fruition.

I think we can blame BC and his staff for that. Now, i'm by no means a husker expert, but these are just a few of the problems i've seen in my 3 years at UNL. people also talk about how complicated the offense is and how the terminology is all [censored]. yet, despite the complexity of it, they perform inefficiently on the field.

sucks for my friends...they are huge Husker fans. (I grew up in gainesville and will be a gator forever). but still, i think that everyone around here will be happy that bill and especially cosgrove will be gone.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Orgeron may deserve more time, but I really doubt he gets it. How long does Kragthorpe get?

fwiw, I agree with these sentiments from the thread: Weis blows, most ND fans who love Weis and hate Willingham are blind or racist, Nutt should have never had a job, Francione is horrible, and Callahan will probably get another year, even with the new AD, though he doesn't deserve it
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

yeah....Kragthorpe is one guy who doesn't deserve 5 years....I would've fired him after Syracuse
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#2 Carr is really awful and should've been fired years ago. Hell, he never should've been hired. It's easy to have Michigan #2 in the Big11Ten every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Five firsts and three seconds in twelve seasons, fwiw.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM

these things are starting to pile up on Weis
Old 10-15-2007, 08:32 PM

On a different note: Which program will get to hire the USF coach at the end of this year?