Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Chapter 1... Who created evil?

My book (excuse me, dvd) is not about proving it is right.... its about disproving others.
You can look at this dvd as the politician who wins because he/she puts down all the other competition.
So what is evil?
Lets assume premises from The Bible/ Christian religion are true:
a. God created everything
b. God is all good

1. If God created everything, he created angels.
2. If he created angels, he created Lucifer.
3. Lucifer is Satan.
4. Satan is evil.(according to Christians)

Therefore by premise 1 and premise 4 cant we conclude that God created evil?

God created everything and God is all good. By looking above, these messages are conflicting, are they not?

Looking for input...
Old 03-18-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Chapter 1... Who created evil?

Yes, God created evil (by your premises), but he didn't create it directly. He also gave Lucifer free will, so Lucifer had the option to become evil. Evil, as you describe it, is a result of free will.

It's not conflicting because God chose to make free will a priority. The downside of that is of course an individual can choose evil. But it doesn't conflict with the idea of a "good" God.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:19 PM

I’ll try to answer. But first, let me ask you something... is there such a thing as cold?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:24 PM

cold and hot come from the 5 sense.. our sense are deceiving ....so we could say that there is no hot or cold, just what we perceive to be hot and cold
Old 03-18-2006, 12:25 PM

there is a difference between good and all good God, and i think most religions say he is an ALL good GOd
Old 03-18-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cold and hot come from the 5 sense.. our sense are deceiving ....so we could say that there is no hot or cold, just what we perceive to be hot and cold

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you taking mushrooms?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 PM

I know, that doesn't change my point though. If God created our reality and his #1 priority was to create a reality without the possibility of evil, he would have to disallow free will. We would all be robots programmed to do only good -- we'd have no choice in the matter. I'm simply saying that based on your presuppositions an "all good" God doesn't conflict with the idea of evil being present in the universe because the priority was to allow conscious beings the right to choose.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:50 PM

no i thought that was pretty much accepted. it is obvious the senses are deceiving.

If hot and cold comes from touching, smelling, tasting, seeing, earing the SENSES.. then how can we be sure they are REAL.. and how can we tell and what degree something is hot and cold? Each person has their own view of what hot and cold is..i.e. there is no set temperature

but what is the "correct" answer?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:54 PM

i guess it comes down to is that ur saying in a way, actions speak louder than words.
For instance, John does everything perfect. John however does think about something wrong though. Although he doesnt say it, we still view John as perfect.

How is john really PERFECT IF he had this idea of wrong?

im not talking about free will, im talking about the idea of evil, not the actions of evil
Old 03-18-2006, 01:02 PM

Most religions would say God is all-knowing. An all-knowing God can of course "think" whatever he wants to. Further, I would argue that simply creating a being with free will allows the possibility of evil. The creator of said being doesn't even have to consider the possibility of evil -- it's ingrained in the notion of free will.

Also, as to your John example, I would argue that John is far from perfect if he does not consider the possibilities of evil. If John cannot even consider a simple dichotomy such as good vs. evil he would have to be mentally deficient in some way, or lack complete free will.