Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: *** The Official New York Rangers 07/08 Stanly Cup Champs Thread *

[ QUOTE ]
They can't buy a goal this season.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM

O/U on Renney's firing?

They got a lot of shots but it's not like Fleury was that great tonight. Nor was Fernandez that good on Saturday. They're not getting high quality opportunities and they're getting a ton of bad bounces on rebounds. They're also missing intensity.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Exactly. We are making mediocre goalies at best look like gods.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They're also missing intensity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the defense was bad tonight and Pens could've easily scored more goals if not for Lundqvist.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:58 PM

well that's going to happen when you add Scott Gomez who sleepwalked through most of last season

had some great rushes up ice this game though!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:02 PM

I totally agree with you for once. Renney has to go. He is past his grace period of juggling lines non-stop. Granted there are a couple of injuries he has to deal with, but even before them he has been a complete bonehead.

Keep this for *gasp* 25 games before you start Mr Potato Heading the entire team. Guy in ( ) are space fillers until the injured guy returns.

Straka(Dawes) Gomez Jagr

Prucha Drury Dawes(Hossa)

Shanahan Avery(Dubinsky) Callahan

(Hey Renney, remember how good these 3 were together last year?.. Avery wasn't with them before he was hurt)

Hollweg Betts Orr

Hossa has no business being on the team. If he must stay, he could swap in for Hollweg or Orr when playing non-conference games.

Dawes and Dubinsky have been v v good the last 2 games.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:46 AM

Hossa is garbage and Prucha is too. When the Rangers realize these guys are barely NHL level talent, they will ship them out. Prucha should've been traded when Sather could've possibly swindled someone for him - now I think the jig is up.

Glen Sather has a history of liking players like these and had them all the time in his later stretch in Edmonton, so I wouldn't count on them leaving any time soon.

I do think Renney's job should be in serious jeopardy if this continues for much longer.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hossa is garbage and Prucha is too. When the Rangers realize these guys are barely NHL level talent, they will ship them out. Prucha should've been traded when Sather could've possibly swindled someone for him - now I think the jig is up.

Glen Sather has a history of liking players like these and had them all the time in his later stretch in Edmonton, so I wouldn't count on them leaving any time soon.

I do think Renney's job should be in serious jeopardy if this continues for much longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prucha scored 30 goals his rookie season, how can he be garbage?

Fellas, as a poker player, I gotta play the Variance card here. They lead the league in shots, are holding opponents to a very low number of goals (I know most of that is Lundquist) and it is 8 games into the season and you guys are calling for a coach's job who took a team picked to finish 30th 3 seasons ago to the playoffs and last year led them to the second round almost beating Buffalo.

Chill out guys. It's been 8 freakin games.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Prucha scored 30 goals his rookie season, how can he be garbage?

[/ QUOTE ]

You talk about the variance card - Prucha led the league in shooting percentage his rookie year with an unsustainably high 23.1%. Next season, he fell back to a more reasonable 16.2% - and scored 8 less goals in 11 more games. Petr Prucha can't penalty kill, he's not a very good passer, he doesn't play very well physically, he is small - a guy like that has to score a lot of goals to overcome that. I don't think Petr Prucha's upside is very high, and I think he will top his rookie season in goals maybe one more time in his career. The Rangers should've tried to sell him to a sucker at the deadline last year, but now they'll be lucky to get very much for him.

[ QUOTE ]
Fellas, as a poker player, I gotta play the Variance card here. They lead the league in shots, are holding opponents to a very low number of goals (I know most of that is Lundquist) and it is 8 games into the season and you guys are calling for a coach's job who took a team picked to finish 30th 3 seasons ago to the playoffs and last year led them to the second round almost beating Buffalo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leading the league in shots - yay. There's different types of shots, and right now the Rangers aren't getting enough of the good kind. They've also looked like a steamroller type of offense very early, but have petered out the last few games. As for other claims, the Rangers never should've been picked 30th, they steamrolled a bad Atlanta team to have a shot to play Buffalo, and they had to win a ton of games down the stretch just to have that chance at all. Renney's job was certainly in jeopardy last season too.

[ QUOTE ]
Chill out guys. It's been 8 freakin games.

[/ QUOTE ]

The offense for the Rangers will come around. The question is - will the intensity? I just didn't see a team that really wanted to win the game tonight, nor did I see it against Boston. Unless drastic changes come with the salary cap, the Rangers have this year and next to seriously compete for a Stanley Cup. They cannot have a lackluster team this season.