Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: EDF Wet Shaving Thread

I have the art of shaving kit. I've used it for about 4 weeks now. My main problem is that it takes me soo long to do the whole routine, and I'm anyways a slow shaver. I love the cremes and oils though, but don't like that merch safety razor too much. Perhaps I should try a straight blade. Is that much harder to use?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Badger and Blade

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, these people DO take wet shaving seriously.

I'm planning on wading through that forum, but can anybody here tell me the difference between shaving soap and cream? Soap appears to be much more economical because it's cheaper and you get more shaves out of a cake than you would a tub of cream, but it also seems like much more work. Are there other advantages I'm missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use shaving soap in a mug, and I can tell you that a good cake of shaving soap will last close to a year.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Badger and Blade

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, these people DO take wet shaving seriously.

I'm planning on wading through that forum, but can anybody here tell me the difference between shaving soap and cream? Soap appears to be much more economical because it's cheaper and you get more shaves out of a cake than you would a tub of cream, but it also seems like much more work. Are there other advantages I'm missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been wet shaving for a year. Def stay away from soaps. Nancy Boy is a great brush cream. I've also found to my disappointment that some of the non-foaming creams (kiels has one, and so does aveda) work better for me than traditional brush creams. But my face is sensitive and my over-riding goal is to avoid irritation. If you have no problems with that you can have alot more fun. Also, enchante online hydrolast products make the best oils by far (and i've tried many).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a member at B&B & yes, some over there take it that seriously!!! Good group of guys with lots of good but varied opinions & information. If any of you sign up over there, just behave yourself or the mods will give you the boot. They won't tolerant some of the 'shenanigans' that 2+2 lets slide...if you know what I mean.

There's nothing wrong with a quality shaving soap. I love them. They just don't offer quite as good of 'cushion' for the razor on your face as a quality made cream. They're 2 different products with their own set of quirks.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much just shave in the shower now, I also go by feel, which isn't such a big deal but everytime I tell people that I shave in the shower with no mirror they freak.

edit: I should add that that shower shave is hands down the best shaving product I have ever bought. a million times better than shaving creams (i've tried several)

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK,

I've shaved in the shower w/out a mirror for years (5-6 days/wk). Use Mach3 and Edge Gel (sensitive skin--orange cap). I will give the shower shave product a shot but in general I don't have issues.

For those of you non-shower shavers, I'll state why it's my route:

1. Less mess in the sink
2. Saves time
3. Pores open on face & softer hair. Leads to fewer cuts.
4. Haven't needed a stiptic pencil since starting the shower shave.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM

From browsing Badger and Blade it would appear that it's possible to get the same kind of lather from soap as you do from cream, but it looks like FAR more time and work. Other than the soap cake lasting forever I don't know why I'd use soap over cream, but maybe that's just me.

I received my Truefitt & Hill after-shave balm and moisturizer yesterday and their quality is what I expected given how awesome the oil and cream are. This will be my brand of choice for the forseeable future.

On Badger and Blade they discuss different blades making a difference, I used Merkur and Feather blades and they seem the same to me FWIW.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From browsing Badger and Blade it would appear that it's possible to get the same kind of lather from soap as you do from cream, but it looks like FAR more time and work. Other than the soap cake lasting forever I don't know why I'd use soap over cream, but maybe that's just me.

I received my Truefitt & Hill after-shave balm and moisturizer yesterday and their quality is what I expected given how awesome the oil and cream are. This will be my brand of choice for the forseeable future.

On Badger and Blade they discuss different blades making a difference, I used Merkur and Feather blades and they seem the same to me FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, soaps aren't that much more work if you know what you're doing.

I really like T&H's stuff too. One of my favorite product lines.

Blades make a big difference in shave quality. I hate Merkurs & love feathers. IMO, big difference in performance in these two. The Merkurs are too rough & semi dull while feathers are very sharp. Derby's are another good choice. But everybody's face is different & in the long run whatever works for you, go for it.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Put brush in the sink and turn on hot water.
2. Apply pre-shave oil.
3. Dip brush in shaving cream.
4. Apply lather.
5. Shave with the grain.
6. Re-apply a layer of lather (I've left the brush in the sink during this time so this layer is hot and lathery and awesome).
7. Shave against the grain.
8. Rinse with cold water.
9. Apply after shave balm and moisturizer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same routine and basically the same equipment. I've got the Merkur with a short handle. I definitely got cuts and razor burn my first time, but I think that may have been the result of a brand new blade. They're always just a little too sharp the first time out. It probably takes me an extra five minutes compared to the Mach3 and I agree with the incredible closeness of the shave.

The cold water at the end can be brutal in the morning, but it definitely seems to help. I shave in the shower and turn the hot water off, rinse my face in the freezing water - which really wakes me up, then turn off the water and dry off. I was told to avoid towel-drying the face, so I allow it to air dry a little, then apply an aftershave lotion.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Gillette Fusion (5 blades ftw)

+

[censored] French Connection UK sensitive shave balm

Simple, quick and cheap !
Old 10-22-2007, 03:56 PM

I Know this is implicit, but I just want to know.

I am one of those dudes that cannot get a smooth shave. My ritual with a Mach3 is to shave 2 times, or 3 times on a particularly frustrating day. A few hours later, I will have prickly skin, but I usually cannot get a good shave. I am thinking about getting hair removal surgery because I know darn well I will never want a beard. Sometimes, the razors hurt and I don't want to shave for a few days.

1- How smooth is this shave?
3-If you shaved everyday, how often do you need to shave now?
2- I am guessing that the shave is a lot less painful, but what about those that had pain from normal shaving?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I Know this is implicit, but I just want to know.

I am one of those dudes that cannot get a smooth shave. My ritual with a Mach3 is to shave 2 times, or 3 times on a particularly frustrating day. A few hours later, I will have prickly skin, but I usually cannot get a good shave. I am thinking about getting hair removal surgery because I know darn well I will never want a beard. Sometimes, the razors hurt and I don't want to shave for a few days.

1- How smooth is this shave?
3-If you shaved everyday, how often do you need to shave now?
2- I am guessing that the shave is a lot less painful, but what about those that had pain from normal shaving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a heavy beard? I'm guessing so. I do too. If that's the case, using just water might not work for you.

Have you ever tried a different set up (i.e. different razor, cream, preshave oil, etc)?