Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Default To All Sites: Stealing Focus actually slows down the games

To all online poker sites:

The function of your software that steals the focus on my computer when it is my turn to act actually slows down the games, rather than speed them up as I am sure was intended.

Consider the following, Joe Multi-Tabler is playing 6 tables across 3 different sites. He is in the process of entering his bet size on Table 1 at Site A, when Table 4 at Site B all of sudden demands his attention and steals the focus of his computer. Well the decision at table 4 is not an easy one, so he doesn't have time to make it and then go back to Table 1. As a result, he must take his hands off the keyboard, reach for his mouse, reactivate Table 1, and finish typing in his bet before he moves on to his decision at Table 4. All of this, adds about 8 seconds to the total time it takes Joe to finish his decision at Table 1 and begin processing the decision at Table 4. The upshot is, ALL of the games he is playing are slowed down.

I know many people rely on this focus stealing function, but you should at least give the user the option to disable it. It will speed up all the games and the house will collect more rake per hour.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: To All Sites: Stealing Focus actually slows down the games

There is a Windows update that lets you turn it off.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and let you know how to do it as I have no clue.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Joe multitabler is not as typical as Joe fish who is busy checking his email, watching TV, or running with scissors. Focus stealing helps him (me).
Old 08-12-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a Windows update that lets you turn it off.

Hopefully somebody will chime in and let you know how to do it as I have no clue.

[/ QUOTE ]
TweakUI, it's a Microsoft "Power Toy". It should be available as a free download at their website. Not sure if it's available for Vista, but I have it for XP.

Under General/Focus, first option is "Prevent applications from stealing focus".
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM

It's not a Windows Update as such. It's one of a set of "Power Toys" for XP--there may be an equivalent set for Vista, or perhaps some of these have been added to the regular Vista feature set--but I haven't played around with Vista enough to know.

Anyway. Go here to get TweakUI and other Power Toys--these are official Microsoft apps, so no reason to be fearful of them:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

You'll see the link for "TweakUI" there on the page. Once you have it installed, start the program. You'll see a "tree structure" of options. Expand the one for "General", then click "Focus". Check the box that says "Prevent applications from stealing focus", apply, and you're all set.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM

very nice.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a Windows Update as such. It's one of a set of "Power Toys" for XP--there may be an equivalent set for Vista, or perhaps some of these have been added to the regular Vista feature set--but I haven't played around with Vista enough to know.

Anyway. Go here to get TweakUI and other Power Toys--these are official Microsoft apps, so no reason to be fearful of them:

You'll see the link for "TweakUI" there on the page. Once you have it installed, start the program. You'll see a "tree structure" of options. Expand the one for "General", then click "Focus". Check the box that says "Prevent applications from stealing focus", apply, and you're all set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awsome tks Sir.
Right after I bubble the FTOPS 6 event I will do this...BOOSH
Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, this does not work for all (or any in my experience) sites.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM

you use two hands to type out bets? wtf?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM

It depends on what you're trying to do. In your example, you talked about different sites stealing focus from one another, which TweakUI should cure. If, however, you're trying to prevent different tables on the SAME site from stealing focus from one another, TweakUI will NOT work. That would be something the sites would have to fix, as you are requesting.