Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Default 50nl: JJ in 3bet pot, I hate this situation

Villian is 22/13/1 over 400 hands

Villian seems ok. Should I have just folded flop, especially since he seems pretty passive?

Comments on all streets.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (CO): $50
BTN: $60.85
SB: $236.95
BB: $76.65
UTG: $56.90

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $5

Flop: ($14.75) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10

Turn: ($34.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $33</font> Hero??
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Re: 50nl: JJ in 3bet pot, I hate this situation

PF is fine.

Why aren't you betting or at least raising the flop? That's pretty bad. Checking the turn is poor too, I think, because you've given him control the hand and gained no information in doing so.

Given the way you've played the hand, you either call and get it all in or fold and rue a missed opportunity. You put yourself in a really tough spot needlessly here.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 AM

Raising that flop basically pot committs me. Is he betting this hard with a worse hand? The stats have him as pretty passive.

I never know what to do with JJ after I call a 3 bet pre, am It sucks epecially since I am OOP

What kind of rnage do you think he is 3 betting pre with?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 AM

If you think he might hold QQ-AA here, why aren't you folding the flop? You could've bet out for $12 or something and if you'd gotten raised, you could've folded knowing there was a good chance he had you. Check-calling tells you nothing about what he might have because it's a standard c-bet. Checking the turn then opened the door for him to bluff if he does hold an AK type hand that missed.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 AM

If you think he 3bets only QQ+,AK then I think you should fold preflop. Against that range you are approximately a 2:1 dog, you are calling here for the right price, but your position sucks so bad in this hand, that I think this makes it a fold. If you do decide to call, then I think it's out of the question to check on a board of low cards. So b/f would be my option the way you played it.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I never know what to do with JJ after I call a 3 bet pre, am It sucks epecially since I am OOP

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe fold pre flop is your optimal line here, especially OOP.
Or if your up against an aggro light 3bettor (not in this case) then you could 4bet. Theyre my usual lines OOP anyway.
I, like you, have always struggled playing JJ in 3bet pot OOP so I stopped doing it!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 AM

this is pretty bad, it doesn't seem like you've thought much about this.

if you are thinking about folding on this flop you need to fold pre flop.

similarly you need to know what you are doing with this hand much before the turn.

calling pre OOP can be ok, but i prefer a small 4bet or a fold depending on your read. so here this is a fairly passive but competent looking villain in a steal-v-steal situation. i would 4bet fold here or call and CRAI his cbet. if he was a bit tighter i would probably just fold.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM

4b for value then folding pre is terrible. You are turning your hand into air. Why would you want to turn JJ into 64o? Calling pre is fine, maybe a little marginal vs this guy. However, it is co vs btn which should make his 3b range a little wider. I'd say it's skewed towards TT+/AQ+. You can profitably call vs that range.

You got the flop you want, all undercards. You are ahead of AQ+/TT and splitting with the other JJ. He'll cbet alot of that range. You can't fold. Think what raising does. He'll continue with TT+ (maybe even folding TT) you equity against his range that he continues with is terrible. Therefore raising isn't great. (It might not be -EV btw, just not optimal) However, you have enough equity to continue against his cbetting range. So you should call.

You are still ahead of the same range on the turn as you were on the flop. However, once he bets it his range narrows towards JJ+. He'd likely check TT here, because what worse calls? Also, this isn't really the type of villain to double barrel often, so not too many combos of AK/AQ in his range. Your equity against his turn betting range is bad, so you should just fold.

cliff notes: call flop, fold turn. pf is fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

read my explanation then comment if you don't agree with me.