Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Default Hypothetical questions about heaven and hell

1. Suppose you learn that you will go to heaven when you die, and whatever age and general condition you are in when you die will stay with you permanently when you go to heaven. In other words, if you die as a healthy, fit 30-year-old, that is what you will be in heeaven for eternity. If you die as a fat ugly 68-year-old with arthritis and a raspy voice, that is how you will spend eternity in heaven. At what age/point do you commit suicide (if at all)? What if instead of going to heaven you are going to hell?

2. New set of rules: Your afterlife destination is determined by random chance, with the probability of going to hell increasning from 0 to 1 as you age from 0 to 100+. If you die as a five-year-old, you have a 95% chance of going to heaven and 5% chance of going to helll; if you die at the age of 102, you're going to hell. At what age do you committ suicide (if any)?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical questions about heaven and hell

In both cases, as late as possible. You want to avoid heaven in all possible ways. Life on earth is bad enough, no need to experience more of the same setup by the same author!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In both cases, as late as possible. You want to avoid heaven in all possible ways. Life on earth is bad enough, no need to experience more of the same setup by the same author!

[/ QUOTE ]

slow down there sunshine.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

slow down there sunshine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya starshine... we meet, at last! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna sell it, then sell it. What's good about it?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna sell it, then sell it. What's good about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The end of pain or suffering! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 04:15 PM

1) Never. If we assume heaven is paradise and that's where I'm going, then I'll go whenever my time comes. Hell is much harder to make assumptions about, but it seems that physical power would be "more likely" to matter there (if it's even meaningful to speak of "likelihood" in terms of an imaginary place). If I knew I were going to hell, I'd do myself in at my prime, 20ish.

2) Asap. Pure pragmatism - heaven is better than hell by definition, and eternity is infinitely greater than one lifetime. Even a 0.00001% chance of going to hell is too much to risk for even a lifetime of pleasure, IMO. If hell doesn't exist (alternative to heaven is ceasing to exist) my answer may be more subjective...