Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Keep The Swastika-Save Some Lives

[ QUOTE ]
As Jews, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. Either we remind everyone how offended we are by an accidental representation of a 60-year-old symbol, or we condone the swastika because we're too stingy to spend a mere $600K (a drop in the bucket for the US Gov) to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that, as tpir said, it's not a 60-year-old symbol. It dates back to the stone age. It has been used to represent peace, luck, and prosperity for thousands of years.

The argument is bogus anyway. Unless you take $600,000 from the people of the US to change a building that happens to have a shape that offends you, you're "condoning" the Nazi ideology? And by that reasoning, we have to demolish all natural outcroppings, irrigation systems, development projects, private residences, and other objects that happen to resemble any symbol anybody finds offensive.

This isn't a moral issue, it's a PR issue for the military. As always, they bend over backwards to prevent anyone from portraying them in a negative light at home while they kill people and ruin lives abroad.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As Jews, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. Either we remind everyone how offended we are by an accidental representation of a 60-year-old symbol, or we condone the swastika because we're too stingy to spend a mere $600K (a drop in the bucket for the US Gov) to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that, as tpir said, it's not a 60-year-old symbol. It dates back to the stone age. It has been used to represent peace, luck, and prosperity for thousands of years.

The argument is bogus anyway. Unless you take $600,000 from the people of the US to change a building that happens to have a shape that offends you, you're "condoning" the Nazi ideology? And by that reasoning, we have to demolish all natural outcroppings, irrigation systems, development projects, private residences, and other objects that happen to resemble any symbol anybody finds offensive.

This isn't a moral issue, it's a PR issue for the military. As always, they bend over backwards to prevent anyone from portraying them in a negative light at home while they kill people and ruin lives abroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. When I said 60-year-old symbol, I meant that it's been basically been retired for 60 years, since the Nazi Regime ended.

2. I was not referring to the actual ideology (which Jews would never condone) but rather the existence of the symbol, for the reason that it would cost money to change it, which would be "wasted". My point was that Jews' persecution has been well-documented, and they are sometimes (maybe not as much as in the past) stereotyped as being stingy with money. So no matter what the outcome, Jews would endure some negative publicity, undeserved as it may be.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:46 AM

After a little research I found the Google maps location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...p;z=19&om=1
Old 09-27-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Atleast it wasn't completely hysterical, that thing really sticks out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2007, 12:48 PM

as i was reading this thread i thought it was a ridiculous waste but then i clicked on the link to the google map thing and it stuck out so much that i think it might be worth the money.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:15 PM

It's a practical arrangement of four buildings on a block so that lots of people have views out their windows. I imagine there are a thousand such apartment complexes all over the country, if people cared to scan google earth for them all.

At least I don't hear the Muslims trying to knock down every set of four buildings that are lined up in a cross-like shape, in their part of the world. Geeez. Someone has way too much time on his hands to have brought this up in the first place, and it amazes me it's getting any air time at all.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 AM

Interesting that the building seems to have been constructed in 1943 when there was actually some pro-Hitler sentiment around. I can't imagine that the architects and planners did not notice that the symbol was so prevelant.
If it was intended in some perverse way to promote that symbol then it should be changed.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was intended in some perverse way to promote that symbol then it should be changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several people including Sklansky have suggested this. Why do you think this? What difference does it make whether some now dead designer did this intentionally or by accident?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see any clips of the Senate arguing about the 'Petraeus or Betray us' ad?
Either you agree with the article or you must officially cast a vote condemning it!!

The money wasted on nothing is sickening. Not as much as the money wasted on massive and misguided evils though.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've been there. I'm not sure but I know a guy who used to work at that base and he took me to his office one day, and the way the grass is with the buildings seems familiar. I'll have to ask him when he gets back from the Middle East.