Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Value of Pi changed

This is doable people. And IMO, it's worth it. All we have to do now is put a bit of mass here and there to sufficiently curve spacetime enough
Old 03-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Our Peter666 no doubt.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 PM

This Pi has changed issue isn’t entirely a joke after all. The Indiana legislature tried to change the value of Pi. The bill sailed through the house after being debated by the Committee on Swamp lands, then it made its rounds to the Senate where:

[ QUOTE ]
In the state Senate, the bill was referred to the Committee on Temperance. (One begins to suspect it was silly season in the Indiana legislature at the time.) It passed first reading, but that's as far as it got. According to The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers, the bill "was held up before a second reading due to the intervention of C.A. Waldo, a professor of mathematics [at Purdue] who happened to be passing through." Waldo, describing the experience later, wrote, "A member [of the legislature] then showed the writer [i.e., Waldo] a copy of the bill just passed and asked him if he would like an introduction to the learned doctor, its author. He declined the courtesy with thanks, remarking that he was acquainted with as many crazy people as he cared to know."

[/ QUOTE ]

Straightdope
Old 04-13-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a law about mandatory lynching for doing april fool's pranks prior to April 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like playing April Fools jokes in September. That way it takes people by suprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

My little sister used to do this when she was 3, because she understood "April Fools" meant you were joking, but didn't understand the concept of "April." She was always so happy to have fooled you that you just had to smile.