Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: AQ in Re-raised pot

Agree that vs. unimaginative players, or if i have a tighter image than normal, i check behind more often.

But seriously, if you guys are folding stuff like 77, 99 etc IP on boards like this when villain leads (and depending on villain, following it up with a turn bluff) you're not winning nearly your fare share of pots.

Maybe it's just because of my [censored] image, i dunno.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet this flop like you did, on such a cut and dry board I think many aggressive players would be tempted to take it away or test you. I think you can call this raise and proceed with caution, I think re-raising would be a mistake as most probably the only hand calling is one thats ahead, maybe the occasional crying call from a weaker ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt villain is slowing down on this turn, if you call this raise you should be ready to play for stacks on the turn, and I don't think AQ is good here.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:48 PM

Why are we still talking about this hand lol? Betting the flop is ok if you're willing to play for stacks. I specifically advocate checking behind here because we are a bit deep. And whoever said that checking turns our hand face up is being ignorant.

I'm checking this flop with literally my entire range, from air to Ax to AK to 88 to AA to 99-KK, so no checking doesn't reveal our hand. What it does do is incite villain to bluff at the pot on the turn, and keep the pot smaller when we want it smaller. Few hands are going to pay us off here if we bet the flop. One of the few reasons for betting the flop should be to induce a bluff c/r, so if you bet you have to play for stacks, if that's what you want to do fine. But imo checking is far superior here without a read.

[/thread]
Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM

But my point is this is a spot i'm actively playing for stacks because my flop betting range is so wide

Other people may be different
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, would've you like him to be betting QJs on the turn? Why not give him the chance to bluff. Basically no hands you beat are going to be in this hand to call your flop bet. You're either way ahead of way behind. So check the flop and get more value from 99-KK, or let him bluff whatever trash you have. Betting just gets played back at by better hands and lets worse hands off the hook.

Also reads help :P

[/ QUOTE ]

how is betting the flop taking away his chance to bluff?

if you believe the above, then fold, because from this quote it's clear that if you have indeed taken away his chance to bluff, then you are boned here.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Um, would've you like him to be betting QJs on the turn? Why not give him the chance to bluff. Basically no hands you beat are going to be in this hand to call your flop bet. You're either way ahead of way behind. So check the flop and get more value from 99-KK, or let him bluff whatever trash you have. Betting just gets played back at by better hands and lets worse hands off the hook.

Also reads help :P

[/ QUOTE ]

how is betting the flop taking away his chance to bluff?

if you believe the above, then fold, because from this quote it's clear that if you have indeed taken away his chance to bluff, then you are boned here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is basically what i've been driving at.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 PM

then I think that's totally fine if that's your plan chaos, still I'd prefer to be a little less deep to be happy about getting it AI, but whatev.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Ok I still am confused on what you think.

What is the best play here in 1 sentence.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM

It depends.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends.

[/ QUOTE ]