FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: lol going blind at 22: surgery trip report

????
Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry to hear about this.

"decent enough parents" is there a backstory behind that comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well as long as my life is under the microscope, i'll give you the unabridged answer to this one too.

My dad tried to be a decent father, but in my opinion, failed by going about it the wrong way. His idea of spending time with me when I was little was sitting me in front of a baseball tee and having me hit off it for hours, and criticizing me. Not helping me with my homework, but berating me for any bad grades. I turned out to be a pretty good baseball player and student, but I also have the baggage that goes along with the emotional abuse and neglect.

My mom quit working when I was born and raised me and my brother, I can't really fault her, except that every other word out of her mouth has to do with god, and I really am not into religion. If you went to roman catholic mass every sunday from the time you could walk, you'd be sick of it too. But yea, she is basically overbearing, I guess trying to make up for my dad's shortcomings.

I am mature enough to acknowledge that as much as I hate my parents, they have put me in a much better situation than a lot of people my age. However, they ruin this by sucking at being parents. My dad has always been a colossal dick to me, but he makes a lot of money, supports the family, has no vices and is on the level with society.

It's one of those deals where I think I certainly have legitimate reasons to hate my parents, but at the same time, I feel like someone with a decent enough life should just stfu and be happy for what they have.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.

I hope my story could help someone in some way, be it entertain them or make them think, whatever they prefer. The WORST part about my situation is being functionally limited, and feeling like I can't contribute anything to the world. If I so much as entertained you for 10 minutes, that makes me feel like my day was semi-productive, so thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM

I know you're going through a tough time with the surgery and [censored] but I really don't see how you have a legitimate reason to hate your parents. That's the way dads work dude, they criticize you so you can learn from it (to a certain extent). I'm sure you'll be doing it to a certain extent as well. I really don't see how you have a right to hate your parents or w/e, they prolly love you to death, are caring for you in your time of desperation, and are basically doing everything to make you feel better (what I took out of it.)

That said, I'm glad you did well with your surgery. But you're descriptions had me wincing and shuddering and I got goosebumps, so you did a good job as a writer.

[ QUOTE ]

fwiw i think that you should tell your gf that no sports left a hole in your life that she can't fill. post a tr.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly, OP can't get BJ's or have sex so that's out of the question.

But yeah, sorry if I was too harsh.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:05 AM

aditya be quiet. like you have ANY clue how he feels or should feel.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing will ever fill that cornhole, which is what my parents keep telling me to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parents just don't understand.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 AM

I was all fidgety reading the trip report. Imagining people screwing with my eye makes me feel queasy. And I wasn't even the one it was happening to.

Best of luck with your continued recovery. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and sound like you'll bounce back in due time.

By the way, was getting a bionic eye out of the question?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 AM

Beat: I also have keratoconus.

I haven't gotten the surgery yet, but the Dr's have said its inevitable that I will need it. I have chatted with the OP about this via PM in the past. Sucks.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM

hope everything works out
Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 AM

that had to be epic, being awake and watching them fix your eye. outstanding.

going to church every sunday is hardly being a religious lunatic, however. my mom went, and i went until i moved out (obv not voluntarily, as i no longer consider myself catholic.) and many fathers just have no idea how to be a part of their son's life - probably because their father wasn't much a part of theirs. i regret attacking you for this, but as a new father myself, i know how hard it is, and i had a father who was very very much a part of my life.

anyway, i hope your recovery goes well. is the problem just in your left eye or at some point in the future are you going to have to repeat this process in your right eye?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 AM

I feel your pain. I was diagnosed with keratoconus about 2 years ago but thankfully I fall into the other group - People that get it late in life and probably won't have to really ever worry about it. I am 32 and I only wear my glasses at night due to not being able to see crap it seems. Either way, very interesting read. I am freaked out about someday may having to go through this, but your story at least gives some hope. And yeah your Dad sounds like a huge Dick.