Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Everything you ever wanted to know about Cal Football

Sup guys - I'm bored and have a few days before school starts so I figured I'd post about Cal's team this year. I've got a bunch of buddies on the team, and I went to the Spring Game as well as a few practices last week and the scrimmage yesterday... some thoughts:

QBs: I really don’t think that Nate Longshore is quite as good as the critics say. He’s a great guy, he’s a poised and confident leader and he is a good college quarterback and will be extremely successful this year, but people suggesting that he’s the best QB in the Pac-10 or that he’s a top pro prospect are off base. He has absolutely zero mobility, cannot throw on the run and doesn’t really laser the ball like A-rod could… he does alright because he is so tall, but in drills with rollouts he struggles.

On the other hand, he looks a lot more comfortable in scrimmage situations, and he’s getting better at reading defenses, which seemed to be his problem in the past. He really went through an awful funk last year through Arizona, USC and Stanford and I was begging for him to get yanked, but then he blew everyone away against A&M. Hopefully he’ll be more consistant this year.

The backup QB battle is probably the most compelling in camp. Riley has looked better all spring and summer, and Kyle Reed looked awful in practice last week throwing horrible picks and missing some easy passes, but Reed was absolutely brilliant in the scrimmage yesterday. He is very mobile, scrambled away from the rush on numerous occasions, delivered pinpoint passes, had one great scramble and touch pass to the back of the endzone and really looked poised and confident. Apparently, he still hasn’t mastered the playbook. Kevin Riley showed mobility as well and at times has looked like the best quarterback on the team. I’d give the nod to Riley for backup, but if Kyle Reed can continue to play the way he did in the scrimmage, he’ll be hard to keep out.

Also, Brock Mansion appears well on his way to becoming the QB of the future – he just LOOKS like a quarterback and directs the team like he’s been there before. Brian Van Meter is still really solid, and I hope he gets to travel this year.

WRs: DeSean Jackson is ridiculous. Everyone knows how fast he is and how great his moves are, but his hands are like glue. Hawk and RJ are just so solid it’s absurd – all three of them are going to play in the league, and I really don’t see how anyone can argue against Cal having the best WR’s in the nation this year. LC has looked really good at times, causing me to declare that he would for sure be a pro, but he has disappeared at times too. He definitely has the talent to take over games, and is more than adequate at WR… I feel like he’s more of a gamer than a practice player. The underclassmen WR’s didn’t look very impressive, so after this year there might be some falloff. Hopefully we can pull in some new recruits this fall.

RBs: In a word: stacked. All the buzz is about how USC is overloaded with young talent, but Cal is pretty much the same. Justin has been looking so solid, and showed how good he could be last year. He will be one of the best primary backs in the Pac-10… probably second only to Jonathan Stewart at Oregon.

What’s surprised me is just how good the four freshmen are. James Montgomery is TOUGH and runs a lot like Justin. Shane Vereen has been getting a ton of reps, and he is really solid and tough as well.

But the gem of the bunch is state 100 meter champion (10.36) Jahvid Best. Holy crap… this guy exploded every time he touched the ball – he’s faster than DeSean, and while he is a little too skinny and needs to be put on weight, it’s going to be impossible to keep this kid off the field. He looked good covering punts, running the ball and catching swing passes. His moves are ridiculous too, the crowd was oohing and ahhing every time he touched it, because he was snapping ankles left and right. This guy will get burn, and he will be a difference maker. I cannot wait to see him in a couple of years.

Every time that I’ve asked people on the team about the freshmen, the first guy they mention is Best… he’s got a really bright future.

OL: Looks very, very solid. Tepper and Mack are absolute monsters, and every time the 1’s were on the field they pushed people around. It’s kind of hard to say how good they are, since lines can only be judged relative to DLs but for what it’s worth, they are way better than our DL at this point. Nate’s going to need protection, and he will get it.

At tight end, Craig Stevens is solid. He’s good good hands and he’s probably the best blocking tight end in the country – I know for a fact that he has the best weightlifting #s and he’ll be a day 1 pick.

DL: Not so hot. The weakest link of our team last year, and while people say they’ve improved, I am not so sure. We’ve got a few good individual players, but as a unit they just haven’t gelled yet.

Linebackers: Best unit on the team, and that’s saying something considering how good our WR’s are. Some of the defensive guys were telling me that one of the reasons uneducated eyes like mine think that our DL is so bad is that the way our defense is designed is for the DL to eat up space and blockers and let the backers make all the plays… if that’s true then it definitely works. These guys are all over the field and they are MEAN. Pac-10 has some pretty awesome linebackers this year, it’s going to be fun to watch.

Secondary: hard to judge, since our WR’s are so good. Thomas DeCoud is the best athlete on the team, and he will play on Sundays without question – the guy is an absolute specimen. Syd looks really solid, and he will be a reliable cover guy, but the second and third corners are still up for grabs. I think the unit will be average overall, which hopefully will be good enough.

Special Teams: are special. I’ve said it before, Cal has the best special teams in the country and it’s no debate. Tom Schneider was PERFECT under 40 last year and PERFECT on extra points and was 7/15 from deep and hit one from 55. You already know about DJ the best punt returner in the country, but what you might not know is that our punt team is among the nation’s best. Andrew Larson and the long snapper Nick Sundberg are already pros and they are so solid. We are going to net 40 yards a punt this year. Also, we have this freshman punter who looks good too, and Jordan Kay the backup kicker is extremely solid and gets a lot of practice work. We don’t really have a backup long snapper though, and it has showed in practices and scrimmages when Sundberg doesn’t snap.

Kickoffs are going to be a much bigger deal this year, and Tom is looking great. He put every single kick 2 yards deep into the endzone, and our cover team is solid. Return is going to be good too, I hope they put Jahvid back there and let him show what he can do.

Coaching: the offense looks a lot better in Tedford’s hands than it did with that spread junk last year that just didn’t work with Nate. We are still going to use a lot of shotgun and quick passes, but we’ll go back to running the ball, pounding it strong side and letting Craig Stevens mash people.

The thing that people don’t know about Cal is that they are PHYSICAL. People assume that Pac-10 teams are about finesse and passing, but Cal (and for that matter, USC, Oregon State and UCLA) is going to hit you in the mouth and try to dominate you.

Last year, the team was really embarrassed when they got outmsucled by Tennessee, and they showed their true stuff when they literally and figuratively beat the living snot out of A&M. (Anyone remember Stepehen McGee talking trash to Daymeon Hughes and they getting erased off the face of a planet by Bishop a few plays later?)

Predictions: Cal beats Tennessee, but loses 1 or 2 Pac-10 games because the conference is just way too deep this year. @ UCLA, @ Oregon, @ UW and even ASU are going to be really, really tough. We play USC for the conference title, and I really feel like this is the year that we get them. They aren’t as good on offense, we’ve got the athletes to match it, Tedford has ALWAYS given USC problems, and we’ve got them at home.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about Cal Football

If only I could bet on them at Matchbook.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Predictions: Cal beats Tennessee, but loses 1 or 2 Pac-10 games because the conference is just way too deep this year. @ UCLA, @ Oregon, @ UW and even ASU are going to be really, really tough. We play USC for the conference title, and I really feel like this is the year that we get them

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the writeup, but can you take the gold-colored glasses off and gimme a realistic prediction -- one loss vs Tenn, ASU, USC and @ UCLA, @Oregon, @ UW doesn't seem likely.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Forsett lives in the apartment below me, so I'll monitor the pre-game partying situation. ;-)

Anyway, Go Bears. I have an awful feeling about the Tennessee game, though... Still, the years I was at Cal we went 0-5 in Big Games with only one Bowl Game (Mooch's Aloha Bowl - bfd), so I can't complain.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM

i thikn cal is mroe likely gonna end up 4th or 5th in the pac10 and not playing for conf title

i have it

1. usc
2. ucla
3. oregon
4. arizona state
5. cal

i think you might be over rating th eir RB's. no way montogmery or slocum could match what lynch, storer, and o'keith did last year. add in sub par QB their offense isn't going to be that good IMO. last year they were 7-2 in conf but they only outgained conf opponents by 30 ypg or so, plus with the tough round robin p10 schedule and a lot of key games on the road i think they'll go 5-4 in the conf and won't be playing for a title
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM

Sporting Events says hi
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM

^^^ Sorry, didn't know which one to put it in, since it's not an event.

I'm not really worried about UCLA. Everyone is drinking their kool aid because they beat USC in the biggest fluke in recorded history and they return 20 starters. UCLA is not that good. Their coaching is subpar, their play calling is boring and uncreative, and they have zero NFL players on their team.

We stomped them last year and three years ago, and should've beaten them two years ago up 10 with like 2 minutes left, and that was WITH AYOOB.

Oregon has tons of talent, and somehow self destructed last year... I'm really worried about that game.

ASU is a huge question mark, I for one am a believer. I think that both Cal and ASU are going to be 7-0 going into that game.

Najdorf - I was saying 1 or 2 losses without the USC game, which I wasn't predicting either way.

One thing you won't read about from stats guys or preview mags is team chemistry. Team chemistry is apparently way up this year, on par with the 2004 team that went 11-1... last year the chemistry was off, and two years ago with Ayoob there was no leadership whatsoever. This year, apparently a lot of the guys are stepping up into leadership roles, and there is a lot of confidence around the program.

The Tennessee game is literally a must win. If we lose that game, the season is going to go down the crapper pretty quick. Beat Tennessee, and we likely start 4-0 and are well into the top 10.

Remember, nobody was really worried when Arrington left, because we had Marshawn, and now that Money is gone, we've still got Justin. Our running backs will be just fine.

Offensively, Cal will be much better than last year, although that has more to do with Nate's development as a player and Tedford retaking the reigns than it has to do with the amount of athletes.

Also, for what it's worth, the 2004 team had 6 guys run 4.4's or below, and this year's team has 12. DeSean Jackson is like the third fastest guy on the team. This team also has twice as many guys with high levels of weightlifting numbers as the 2004 team as well.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:31 AM

How are they going to slow down Tennessee?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:05 PM

I definitely think you're overrating the offense a little bit. I'll believe that Longshore has learned how to play quarterback when I see it, and not before. I know a lot of people involved in the Oregon program myself, and am hearing a lot of good buzz about Dennis Dixon that sounds like the same kind of things you're hearing about Longshore, and I'd bet fans across the country are hearing exactly the same things about their own QBs who struggled last year. Personally, I hope Dixon really does turn out to be much improved, but I'm not betting on it, and I wouldn't bet on Longshore either.

Additionally, while I can recognize the likelihood of your RBs being good, I don't see them being so good as to not have some drop off. The offense will be very good, but not quite as special as you're making it out to be, I think.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 PM

You do realize that Cal had the #11 offense in the country last year and put up 33 points a game, right? Even if they're not as good as last year, the offense is still objectively very good.

Of course there will be dropoff in the RB's - all I'm suggesting is that they are underrated and the dropoff will not be as significant as some people think. At the same time, WR's and QB's are better if for no other reason than by default since we get everyone back.

My turn 2 raise - I think we're actually going to struggle against the run in the Tennessee game more realize, but I don't think Tenessee will be able to make enough big plays to keep up... I see us winning a close one, I think we'll win but I'm not on Cal at -5.5.