Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Many retarded questions

ok, sorry if i didnt see this somewhere/posting this in the wrong place.

Long story short, I have no idea how to play poker..if someone can give me a link for a poker for dummies kind of thing that would be perfect..I mean I know the basics, but I don't know "outs" or any of the more technical stuff. Sorry =(
Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Many retarded questions

I found a great link on here at "www.faqs.org/faqs/gambling-faq/poker/" .....It is split up into chapters and on a majority of the chapters will be a number at the end to where if you scroll to the bottom u will see a list of links and just look for the number it gave you to delve into that subject u r inquiring of....As well check out another link to one of the post on this forum which has helped me out tremendously "http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2411735&an=0&amp ;page=0#Post2411735" just copy and paste that and suck up all its wisdom... It would also be a great investment to get 1 or 2 of Ed Millers/Sklansky/Malmuth's books which u can find on here for beginners... I hope that might have helped you out...I asked a question on here and havent gotten any replies so I'd hate to see it happen to another fellow fish u know....goodluck
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 AM

thanks buddy

PS - whats a fish? o.0
Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 AM

ppl like u and me who r rookies when it comes to knowing a lot of the strategy and odds etc...I got one more link for you i just found and its excellent so check it out..
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post9247698
Old 02-25-2007, 03:01 AM

Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller. It's an excelent introduction to hold'em poker, no matter if you end up playing limit hold'em, no limit cash games or no limit tournaments.

You can find it in any of the mega-bookstores.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 AM

I was gonna ask because i've played for about 2 yrs now so i know the rules and a little strategy is that book to basic or not?
Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller. It's an excelent introduction to hold'em poker, no matter if you end up playing limit hold'em, no limit cash games or no limit tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM

Try Poker for Dummies. Get a friend to show you and play with you on the cheap, even two handed where you look at your hands after it is over.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was gonna ask because i've played for about 2 yrs now so i know the rules and a little strategy is that book to basic or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of a loaded question.

The first few sections cover really basic stuff - The play of the game, what beats what, reading the board correctly, stuff like that. Some people read that and think "This book is a joke." They shouldn't.

Ed then goes through nine hand examples where he covers the good stuff - Counting outs, pot odds, domination, value betting vs. semi-bluffing, implied odds, pre-flop theory. All good stuff.

Then in the NL section he spends a lot of time covering the Short Stack Stratagy (tm NPA). He also touches on deep stack play and tournament play.

For a small book, he covers a lot of ground in a clear and concise manner.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Thats what I was hoping for because Sklansky touches on it in Small Stakes Poker but warns in the beginning he will only touch on it because the more thoriugh of it is touched on in beginner books...