Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Shocking

Wow. I am quite surprised at the responses in this forum. Lots of obviously racist remarks; but beyond that, the quality of responses can be characterized as less than thoughtful.

Here are some facts based on, oh I dunno, scientific evidence:

1) Racism is real in America.

2) The number of criminal acts of discrimination (behaving in a way towards a person of another race that is unfair or harmful, simply because of his or her race) has been gradually decreasing.

3) One reason for this decrease is due to an increased stigmatization against racists.

4) The increased stigmatization against racists has resulted in an increase in a) covert racist (see my earlier post) and b) reverse racism (see my earlier post).

5) Because of this trend towards covert racism and reverse racism, the number of acts of discrimination has been reduced; However, this has not reduced the level of racial prejudice and racial stereotyping in this country (see my earlier post).

6) Someone mentioned that it is human instinct to be racist. That is yet to be identified, however, science has shown that it is human instinct to have an increased liking for those similar to you. Which isn't very different.

7) David's hypothesis isn't totally wrong either. Science has also shown that people tend to join together when faced with a common enemy. However, I just don't think his hypothesis explains as much of the variance (in decreased discrimination) as do my earlier points.

For a forum which prides itself on facts (though often mathematically derived), this particular post has an absolute lack of factual evidence presented. I found it shocking.

R. Sherman
Ph. D. Student Personality/Social Psychology
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Black People

sklansky,
the black comedians have been saying this since 2002 and they are grateful
Old 02-19-2007, 12:04 PM

I agree, im part sand negro and people look at me funny alot, and this isnt a joke, i really am and they really do.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM

Basically disagree. Intolerance begets intolerance. If the news and politicians are highlighting illegal immigration and terrorism, it doesn't necessarily mean that we're less prjudiced against blacks, just that it's not a hot-button issue just now.

Historically, white Americans have feared the "other." Black Americans are less "other" these days as they have a presence in entertainment, sports and even corporate America that they did not have in the past. I think white Americans tolerate their increased presence among them because they have to, not because they have deflected their prejudices onto other groups.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM

David, first let me state that you are my personal hero.

Next, I think your opinion is wrong. I think if you travel through just about every part of the south racism is still very prevelent and not going anywhere. While it may not be as bad as it was in the past it is def. still around. You also have to consider that there are more things for people to hate now. Bringing terrorism into the picture and illegal aliens. Racism is very much still alive it is just no longer mainly directed at black people anymore.

I also don't agree with you on your theory of the acceptance of black people. I think it mainly has to with time and the intergration of schools. Younger generations did not grow up with the barriers that older generations did.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:46 PM

That is untrue. Face value of the tickets were lasted at $400. People were scalping for $1,200.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Completely kidding. Do we have any proof that any tix were listed for $20k/each? Super Bowl tickets don't even go that high.

[/ QUOTE ]

CNN ran a segment on it the other day. According to their report, some brokers were asking as much as $27,000 per ticket for the top seats. The report also mentioned that that's more than what the most expensive superbowl tix were going for.

A quick google search yielded this link which isn't CNN but contains the same information as the report.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:40 PM

Hundreds Arrested During NBA All-Star Weekend:

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6107862
Old 02-19-2007, 02:19 PM

CNN is wrong.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:35 PM

ummm. I had the complete opposite insight from being on the strip..MGM and exclaiber Sat night through late Sunday. I witnessed nasty comments from both sides using the N word. I saw a few fights, heard what was later a gun and generally was very uncomfortable. Must be nice to sit in Bobby room and think the world is a great place.