Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: AKo on button vs. hi-jack raise in the Borgata Friday 50K

Thanks for the reply. Agreed on the call, but any other thoughts on my line of play here before the hand is revealed?

3 bet then call push routine here?

Any difference on this play live vs. online tourney?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. Agreed on the call, but any other thoughts on my line of play here before the hand is revealed?

[/ QUOTE ] This is a common situation where the majority of inexpiernced players are uncertain of how to properly play thier stack size...

[ QUOTE ]
3 bet then call push routine here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most people would probably say shoving is the standard line here since you are committed to a re-raise anyways this will award you the pot a decent % of the time uncontested helping you to avoid many race situations which I am guessing is what you forced here...

[ QUOTE ]
Any difference on this play live vs. online tourney?

[/ QUOTE ] The live players probably re-raises lighter on average at the same point compared side by side with a online player at the exact same point in a tourney... while an online player opens much lighter then the live player in the same situation...

So he has JJ right... maybe TT or QQ... noway he thinks 30 seconds with KK/AA unless he is just bad and doest realize you are committed... the classic weak means strong act...

I guess you could both have AK but he shouldnt be thinking this long... and I dont think you would post a split in these forums...
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM

Guy actually had KK, not sure if he was trying to act weak to get me to call, or if he was legitimately concerned that I had AA.

ty for the posts
Old 11-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Why are you so afraid of playing the flop?

Kind of an accusatory question, but here's why I ask- Your M is about 12, which is pretty good for that level of that tournament. Your hand is worth a call, but reraising with it (all-in or not) is making a move. If it works, you take down the pot (about 2 M total). If it doesn't, you're either racing for all your chips (not great), or trying to suck out for all your chips (really bad). With an M of 12, you have the luxury of picking a better spot to win 2500 chips without putting your whole stack on the line (as it turns out, calling is one of them).

What this move will do is take away any need to play the flop. Once you re-raise, the decision making of the hand is usually over. Either he mucks, or he feels good enough about his hand to push all in, and you have to call. If he does just call, the only way you're getting away from the hand is if you completely miss the flop and he pushes in front of you. Any other situation and your chips are going in the middle. There just aren't enough chips to really keep playing once the pot has gotten that big.

What I'm getting at is that I see calling as a much better play- You're dominating a good number of hands players will raise with in early position in these tournaments (AQ, AJ, KQ, even KJ and AT), and there's a high chance of these hands paying you off when you both hit. You're 2 to 1 against hitting a flop that will crush QQ-99, and a lone king on the flop just begs for a c-bet. Most importantly, you've got position on you're opponent. So invest a small portion of your stack to call with a good hand in position, and play your cards on the flop. Save your AK reraises for bigger tournaments where you've got more chips to manuever with (or for playing on the internet I guess).