Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Interesting Grants and Loans situation

Bandit,

I found out though, that I wouldn't actually have had any more degrees.

I thought: I could get a BA in English now and then in two years a BA in English Education. This would be more marketable for a job, yadda yadda.

Reality per my advisor: I wouldn't have gotten a second BA. You can't have two BAs in the same major. Both of those are "Bachelors in Arts - English Major." The only difference is that for the English Education track, the STATE of Illinois gives you the teaching certificate. The school doesn't give me anything else.

So in reality, I wouldn't have gained a damn thing by getting this degree (except maybe for marketability outside of teaching). And even that is easily fixed, I will just have to get to the interview and then I can explain that I am basically overqualified compared to other teachers (becuase of 2 years of English major) or compared to other English-related jobs (becuase I had teaching classes...this could be valuable in a job I was training or something).

SO long story, it wouldnt be worth the 10k drop whatsoever it turns out. You certainly had me convinced that it might be worth it, but after talking to the advisor....it really wouldnt have been much. It simply would have been 2 more years of education, which I'm getting anyway.

And your numbers seem roughly equivalent to my hometown area. But that is 2007 numbers, not 1995 numbers.

As for location, it is so early too try and figure that out. I have 3 semesters of class and then student teaching before I'm done now. I have always wanted to look into NoCar or SoCar, because of the weather and such. Do you recommend North Carolina as a place to visit some and find out if I like it there?