Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra

[ QUOTE ]
you really have to be quite bad at chess to ever lose with a rook advantage against anyone. just play defensively and force a bunch of trades -- they don't all even have to be even -- and you'll be unstoppable in the endgame. this is why chess is a terrible game to handicap -- a single pawn advantage would be enough to make any competitive player a favorite against the top gm's in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

A single pawn advantage would make a "competitive" player a fav over top gm's? LOL, that's the most ridiculus statement in this thread, first of all what do you call competitive player? 2000 ICC?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for raptor

A plane ticket to curtains city in the usa is probably < $300. If you are so confident then why dont you arrange something?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only way i think durr or anyone else in his position would have a chance is to make it blitz, and hope that the GM you're playing is a blitz fish

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely backwards. You're up a rook. The major way a typical club player would lose in that situation is to blunder. Playing blitz massively increases the chances of you blundering. I'd want it to be a correspondence game, if possible.

I think people are overestimating how difficult it is to win up a rook. Grandmasters are not magical. They can't change the fact of what is on the board. I would be a favourite against Garry Kasparov if he played down a rook. The basic gameplan is trade off as many pieces as possible, open some files so the rook is useful, and keep the king safe.

Contrast that with what durrr did (I've taken a look at the games now). In game 1 he failed to develop, instead playing the crazy Qa5 and stuffing his queen down on a3 in some attempted pawn-grab, when he's already a rook up. He allowed his king to be trapped in the center and broadly speaking that's why he lost. In game 2 he actually twice runs away from piece trades, retreating his bishop to e6 and then d7 when a trade with the knight is possible. The losing move in this game was d4 in response to curtains' e4. It not only closed up the center, reducing the power of his extra rook, but it locked all his pieces away from the K-side, where curtains is about to attack. Look at the board after ... c5 and notice how utterly locked out of the K-side durrr's queen is. It's going to take him like 4 moves to get her there if he needs to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of Masters/GM have gone to Central Park and got owned playing speed chess. If youre reasonably good at speed chess ,this would def be the way to go IMO. Much easier to trade down in Blitz. And I certainly dont want to play a master in a game where he has time to think more than a handful of moves ahead.

And you would def not be a fav over Kasparov down a rook. Hes going to mate you long before that rook comes in to play.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM

lol @ you cats, i'm counting the months until i'm 21
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM

How would you of handled a stalemate? A win for Durr?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra *DELETED*

[ QUOTE ]
Post deleted by snagglepuss

[/ QUOTE ]

aww, why'd you delete this
Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And you would def not be a fav over Kasparov down a rook. Hes going to mate you long before that rook comes in to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at this statement, when you have no idea how good ChrisV is. Any USCF Expert (>2000 US, top 1% or so of *tournament* chess players) would be a clear favorite over Kasparov with rook odds, IMHO.

triumph,

didnt want to be posting pictures of people w/o their consent.

burkoboy,

they flipped for every aspect of the game beforehand.

Default Re: Durrr in process of losing 60k+ in a chess bet.. good month for ra *DELETED*

I'm about 2100 (much weaker than IM) and from the looks of those games I would have easily won with the same handicap vs. durr. What a great bet lol.

As far as various handicaps, a GM would beat almost any basic master with pawn odds, much more so a weaker player.

A decent club strength player should be able to win with rook odds most of the time, and piece odds would be close.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plenty of Masters/GM have gone to Central Park and got owned playing speed chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

vs. extremely strong blitz players, not vs. durrr. Your argument is completely irrelevant.