Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: my starting strength log

[ QUOTE ]

mine is in front of the mirror too, but you can move the pins or whatever they are to the other side. I just assumed he could do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately there is a style that is not reversible. Instead of pins that go through the middle it has arms that can only extend from one side.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good video that'll help you get your body "between" your legs, not over them.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the link. i have a few questions about the video. while i was watching it i was trying to do the drills. when i did the goblet and potato sack squats i was having a hard time keeping the weight on my heels with out falling on my ass. my next question is should i start doing front squats instead of regular squats or should i just practice goblet squats with a dumbbell?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
good video that'll help you get your body "between" your legs, not over them.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the link. i have a few questions about the video. while i was watching it i was trying to do the drills. when i did the goblet and potato sack squats i was having a hard time keeping the weight on my heels with out falling on my ass. my next question is should i start doing front squats instead of regular squats or should i just practice goblet squats with a dumbbell?

[/ QUOTE ]
do the drills more and you will be more flexible, which will enable you to stay on your heels. You can start by squatting down with a wall behind you, and lean against that to make you more upright at first.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do the drills more and you will be more flexible, which will enable you to stay on your heels. You can start by squatting down with a wall behind you, and lean against that to make you more upright at first.

[/ QUOTE ]

how often should i be doing these drills, and what should i do at the gym instead of squats? today i just did goblet squats with a 30lb dumb bell after my hips where sore and while i was doing them my upper middle back felt like it was straining., is that normal when you are doing the drill for the first and have very limited flexibility
Old 11-24-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how often should i be doing these drills, and what should i do at the gym instead of squats? today i just did goblet squats with a 30lb dumb bell after my hips where sore and while i was doing them my upper middle back felt like it was straining., is that normal when you are doing the drill for the first and have very limited flexibility

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I remember it was pretty tough even to do bodyweight squats at first. Getting good at pretty much everything is all about repetition. Just do squats (with or without weight doesn't really matter much) as often as possible. Also, you should get down in the bottom position and sit there for awhile (with good form). I'm a fatty with a decent gut, was never really flexible, but somehow I can just get right down into the bottom of a squat real easy. I'm like azn or something now.

Stretch your hips out before you workout as well. I know in general people say not to stretch, but this one is okay. One knee on ground, the other leg out forward (like a lunge position), and sorta push your hip forward and stretch it out. Check out the "samson stretch" as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 AM

who says not to stretch? and that is the stretch i do that gives me that pulling burning feeling in my left quad just above my knee
Old 11-24-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who says not to stretch? and that is the stretch i do that gives me that pulling burning feeling in my left quad just above my knee

[/ QUOTE ]
weird, I dunno man. I kinda want to say just take a few weeks off. I know it sucks, but think of the long run. Find a way to get motivated again in a few weeks, see where your body is at, and take it slow.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's two different things - "warming up" which just gets you loose and mobile, and "stretching" which is about actually lengthening the tendons/ligaments/etc.

You should generally not stretch before a workout, you should however definitely warm up. Right after a workout is a good time to really stretch.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:14 AM

i think I'm going to stop squatting for a few weeks because my knee is really starting to bother me. maybe just doing the body weight squats. also, is there a a good place to find a stretching routine online?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think I'm going to stop squatting for a few weeks because my knee is really starting to bother me. maybe just doing the body weight squats. also, is there a a good place to find a stretching routine online?

[/ QUOTE ]
check the sticky. Also, you should go see a doctor. They might get you on a rehab program and have you stop squatting entirely.