Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Default how to vary my play (turn cr) ?

Im in the bb with Qd4d, Button raise sb call in I call.

Flop is 2d, 9d, 5s, button bet sb calls I call

Turn Jd, button bets sb folds and i checkraise

In this spot and other similar my turn CR always means two pair or better. That would mean that a very observant opponent could play his hand perfectly against me and even fold an overpair figuring she only got two outs. So i guess i have to mix up my play here and sometimes Cr with other hands than my premium ones? But what type of hands do I add here as CR-ing hands? Or do i even have to wory about this when im playing as low as 1-2, 2-4$ ?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: how to vary my play (turn cr) ?

Well, fisrtly, against a tight raiser, that hand is not always good to play here. Second, you could just check/raise that flop most times with your flush draw + overcard.

But yeah, people won't notice much in general and will just call you down without much.

If you want to check/raise turns without a made hand sometimes, do it with flush draws coupled with a gutshot for example. Don't overdo it and you'll be fine. Of course it's useless against calling stations, pick your player before you try it.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, fisrtly, against a tight raiser, that hand is not always good to play here. Second, you could just check/raise that flop most times with your flush draw + overcard.

But yeah, people won't notice much in general and will just call you down without much.

If you want to check/raise turns without a made hand sometimes, do it with flush draws coupled with a gutshot for example. Don't overdo it and you'll be fine. Of course it's useless against calling stations, pick your player before you try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine ever folding this hand preflop getting 5-1 closing the action against a BTN raise. Im indifferent between all lines on the flop, and I think donking the turn is clearly better than check/raising. Why give the BTN a chance to take a free card when he has nothing.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM

I would c/r the turn with say KJ in that spot.

Also since it got HU at the turn I would have c/r as a semibluff if the flush had not arrived. The pot is something like 5BB's so with your 9 outs you only need to get a fold i dunno around 10-12% for the play to be +EV.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Do you have such specific reads on many opponents that you could be confident they have two p or better in that situation?

Probably not. And they don't have it on you, either.

If there is a particular player that you just check raised in that situation a few hands ago, then you might vary your play. Vary if you have a clear reason to, but not on general principle at this level.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM

u need to cr the flop

when u need to hit to win being aggressive here doesnt cost u much

the once in a while where u can win this pot unimproved is worth a ton though
Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also since it got HU at the turn I would have c/r as a semibluff if the flush had not arrived. The pot is something like 5BB's so with your 9 outs you only need to get a fold i dunno around 10-12% for the play to be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advices. How do you get that 10-12%, think i need some help with the math.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good advices. How do you get that 10-12%, think i need some help with the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get 5:1 on the bluff. So if he folds right there 1 in 6 or with 16.67% prob the raise is EV neutral if you do not put in anymore bets. However, the time he either folds or 3-bet you have 9-12 outs to improve. Say he just calls and your Q outs are good, then with 12/46 ~ 25% you will hit and make a valuebet on the river, these times you will win an additional 2 BBs from him. Obviously he will sometimes 3-bet and you have to c/f the river UI, these cases will cost you 2 BB's extra compared to just calling the turn.

The exact folding eq that is needed to make a raise +EV depends on how often he will 3 bet a good hand but it has to be less than the 16.67% for the bluff to be immediately profitable.

I hope I made myself understandable.