Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Decent-ish draw on flop, unsure how to continue.

Hand history below. Just started playing omaha, and don't really have a feel for how hard I should be pushing on the flop with various hands.

Here I didn't really know what to do, but ended up raising because I thought my hand was too strong to just fold and calling would let in any one-way draws behind me to bigger hands. I thought the lead out bet was most likely a made hand that wanted to end things now. Was this just reckless in this spot? Should I just fold? Also, pre-flop, almost folded then too.

Poker Stars Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $140.10
CO: $46.50
Button: $66.30
SB: $38.10
Hero: $52.45

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $1.75</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($7, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $6.65</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $26.6</font>
Old 10-25-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Decent-ish draw on flop, unsure how to continue.

What with the SB leading after just completing PF, I'm inclined to flat it and then see where you're at. If the PFR had it checked to him on the flop, I'd say go for the c/r because you might just end the hand w/out a showdown which is best situation for you and even if he wants to get it all in, you've got some outs.

4 handed you've got to assume that even if your flush card hits, and there are still 3/4 opps still in, that you may not be good a fair amount of time.

Anyways, yeah, I prefer a flat call after the SB decides to open the flop action but I don't think it's a horrible raise.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:24 PM

You can make a case for all 3 options here, but I prefer folding here. We will not be in great shape if we are overcoated, and we are never in real great shape if our raise is called. If you think you have a lot of fold equity raising is ok, but I doubt that is the situation at this level. Also, just calling is troublesome because of our bad relative position and the possibility of a raise behind us. Folding is best, raising is second, calling is worst IMO.

It goes to show you that a trouble hand like this, that is likely to make low straights and flushes is best either mucked or played on the button where you get more info on all streets. It is not a hand that is easy to play from the blinds in a multi-way pot.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:37 PM

I don't like raising, too often you run into a hand that kills you. I would probably call and hope the other 2 guys fold, I might just fold.

I fold preflop unless the guys are particularly bad.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Fold preflop. As played it's between call or fold, you are basically dead if someone comes in behind you.