Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Help, am I grossly overplaying these hands? 3/6nl

[ QUOTE ]
You are the reason why NL is so profitable. Continuing to play 3/6NL is suicide for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is massively unfair. The only hand he made any real errors in was hand 1 where he MAY have raised too little pf, and he waited too long to get his chips in postflop.

These hands are pretty standard coolers/beats.

Besides hand 1, what would you suggest he do differently Jim?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Raise more in hand 1 (make it about 45) and more in hand 4 (about 100 to 105). When we're going to be OOP for the rest of the hand it's important to cut down on your opponents implied odds.

1K should be nothing for a 3/6 player. You have a wide range of stack sizes in these hands, how much do you usually buy-in for?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're not going to be happy with what you get...

From a technical point of view, you are making the mistake of "offering your opponents too high implied odds".
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf . cookerino didnt have enough implied odds in most of those hands ...

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, that guy who made the response should be reading those books he suggested.... i went thru first 5 or 6 hands, and all i didn't like was the check on the flop in the first hand (AA in position)..... i think most of those hands were consistent with PNL and getting the stack to pot quite low.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and more in hand 4 (about 100 to 105). When we're going to be OOP for the rest of the hand it's important to cut down on your opponents implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must mean hand 5.

I like the raise because we're going to be in vs cookerino, and it builds the pot nicely enough that we can comfortably get in on any flop.

With the stack sizes involved we're really not giving implied odds by reraising to $75
Old 11-11-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies and sorry about the messy hands, and also thanks for the ipoker link.

I usually buy in for $400. I'm comfortable with that. I don't like short stacking it too much which cuts down on the profit I can make with my looser range of hands. I don't like a full buy in either since it changes my mentality a little. I don't know if its advised to go in with a middle of the pack buy-in, but it's just what I feel comfortable at.

I just never had this sort of thing happen before. Usually in all these situations I would be up againt lower pockets or TPTK, or even a draw. It just made me question a lot of issues.

I dont know why I checked the AA vs 33 hand, to be honest. It might have been because that was actually the last hand I played against cook and he very well could have just called me preflop with two overs or Ax, based on what he was calling me PF before with.

I wanted to let him hang himself on something. I wasn't thinking 8 or 33 for a second.

According to poker tracker my aggression rating is 1.9 with a VP$IP of 24. I'm tagged down as Semi-loose/aggressive I believe. So it's not like Im just sitting there and pushing on pockets. I just thought something had to be wrong when I am showing good gains in my suited connector hands and then these massive spew loses with premium hands. I would really like to know on what I could have done differently in any of these, other than what has already been pointed out.

I'd like to think I'm not giving them implied odds even when I make it obvious preflop I have a hand.

Bah, thanks again.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 AM

BTW, there's a site i like called 604poker.com (i have no angle whatsoever). anyhow, pete the webmaster does pretty regular insightful writeups on his 6-max NL experience.. and i think he was scratching his head about a 15 buy-in downswing, and trying to figure out how much was bad luck vs. bad play.. and similar stories by other posters there. i only mention the site because pete's write-ups are fantastic.

aren't you supposed to have 20-25 buyins as a bankroll (could be much higher)... the reason you need that many (or more) is that 8 buy-in downswings are quite common. you're on a 1.5 buy-in downswing (although it's hard to analyze as you didn't have full buy-in in almost any situations) .. you are correct though in really self-analyzing quite early on.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Thanks for the link, never heard of it before and I live in the 604 too.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link, never heard of it before and I live in the 604 too.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's actually a big thread near the top of the poker strategy forum where a guy (dave baker is the log-in name??) talks about his huge downswing...

he goes thru bad luck in the parts i read, but i think there must be some "fancy play syndrome" too. he talks about very questionable river calls in a few instances.

i think what sometimes happens is that guys are successful with TAG, open up a bit more do better and then go crazy with the LAG and completely overdo it (or too loose post-flop too)....

but you seem like TAG basically on a bad run of luck. which is somewhat where i am too (some bad play on my part too, for sure)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 is fine pf , you have to bet the flop tho ...with 2 suited cards this isnt rly the flop you want to give a free card with

the rest are pretty standard ,imo you just ran bad which happens from time to time , i dont see any horrible mistakes in any of these hands (except the 1st one)

cookerino is a big time fish ,,,and makes me wish i could play at IPOKER...sigh ..

[/ QUOTE ]

OP's preflop raise sizes are small to me. Reading up on 4bb+1 and bigger 3 bets would help him out.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

Playing more than 20BB's or less than 100BB's is not smart.

If you dont want to shortstack, fine, but buy in at a level where you feel comfortable playing 100BB's. With a VPIP of 24 you need to have as big of a stack as possible to be payed off on your loose hands.