Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: ** New & Improved ** Pokerstars Regulars Thread

[ QUOTE ]
i need more fame

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I don't have any.

I've been beating 50NL at a good clip, and no one has mentioned my Stars screen name.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i need more fame

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I don't have any.

I've been beating 50NL at a good clip, and no one has mentioned my Stars screen name.

[/ QUOTE ]

but i wanna be a superstarrrrrrrrrr

AT THE GAY BAR
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM

Well i didn't actually say they were tough to play against, but that they win at good rates. However that said

Nada is tough because i have a lot of hands vs him where he basically just refuses to give up hands in position, and that makes it tough to 3 bet him from the blinds, and he really hates me and doesn't believe any of my raises, so he is willing to fight vs me with ATC.

p0kerboy is willing to make moves at pots when i have a hand range that likely will have trouble calling (I remember a specific hand where i had 44 on a board that was something to the tune of 234J5, where he had raises pf, and then shoved river which puts me in a very difficult spot because obviously an ace is a huge par of his range)

Duff is tough in a different way imo, he just doesn't donk off chips, you aren't really going to play for his stack too often. Hes moved up to nl 200 though now.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Taking this thread in a different direction because it has basically turned into a NL100 gossip ground [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What do you think separates a lot of the winning NL100 regulars from being able to take the next step and become winning regulars at NL200? I know a lot have tried and ended up back at NL100. Please don't answer "they suck."

Some of the reasons I think is that at NL100, I think a lot of us fall into sort of a trap. It's the first level where you can really make significant money multi tabling and the competition for the most part is relatively horrible. So we develop a style that works well multi tabling NL100, however, this style becomes very exploitable as we play better competition.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of NL100 players, our ranges become heavily weighted towards a specific spectrum in certain situations. And vs observant opponents its very easy for them to take advantage of that and continuously own us. I really won't go into more about this specific topic here, because I think this is one of the things that allows someone who isn't on autopilot at NL100 to really take advantage of all the other TAG regulars and exploit them heavily. SABR42 indirectly touched on this when he earlier int his thread talked about how easy it is to pick on other players at this level and why you are leaving money on the table by not doing so.

Another, thing I have noticed and this goes hand in hand with what I said above, is that lots of regulars at NL100 still practice avoidance, and for a lot of them this is the best thing, since, well they play horrible. However, this is allowing the better players at the level to just bleed them dry by constantly abusing them and they never adjust and play back. Prodigy's comments about avoidance, I think are spot on for the weaker players who can't adjust, yet, still are able to make $$ vs the donks. But again agreeing w/ SABR42, avoidance isn't nessecary since its so easy to just relentlessly pick on and exploit the other regulars.

I know a lot of people are going to read this and say "blah blah blah, I win at 4ptbb/100 and I don't do any of this." Well, think of how much money you are leaving on the table? Why should your WR be satisfactory, when you are leaving so much on the table?

This brings me full circle to my original point about what is separating winning NL100 regs from being winning Nl200 regs...Everyone can play good vs horrible players. It's not hard to learn to extract the maximum vs bad players. You need to learn how to play the other 70% of the game, most of you just play bad, and thats why you will always marginal NL100 winners.

Hopefully, this will get the thread back on track and we can focus more on what certain players are doing well and learning from that to help improve our own games. Instead of just bashing everyone and gossiping like HS girls.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am a NL100 regular. No I am not good at NL Hold em'. However, I do feel as if I am better then every other regular at NL100 on stars. I haven't moved up because my poker situation is unique and my playing style and routine is also very unique and NL hold em' is probably my 3rd best game, however, I am constantly trying to work and improve it.

Also, the two points I touched on, are two very small points in what makes and allows a player to be a winning player at higher levels then NL100, however, I feel as if from reading this thread and from my experience playing, that these two things are two of the biggest things hindering the progress of lots of NL100 players.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:03 PM

I dont know about the majority of the people here, but as a 3 ptbb winner at nl 100 over 100k hands, and a 2 ptbb winner over 20k hands at nl 200(nothing i know), my biggest problem is bankroll management. Not in playing higher stakes, but in wanting nice things as a broke college student and being able to "afford" them with my roll, br discipline is fairly important imo.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 PM

well written RyanCMU...

let's discuss the playign styles of some of the better NL 100 players then - (and it's funny how we assciate) or at least a lot on here....better being those that play more LAG than the other 'regs'.

- bottomset:
- what makes him a feared opponent?
- what does he do that makes you sqirm or pound the table?
- what makes him difficult to play?
- do you avoid him OOP, why? do you avoid him IN position? why?
- what are some other questions we can ask?

Drballgame (who is he on 2+2? by the way?)
AChen
BigLivesOn

same questions, what makes them difficult,etc. feel free to add names and what makes them 'better' than your regular 'reg'
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know about the majority of the people here, but as a 3 ptbb winner at nl 100 over 100k hands, and a 2 ptbb winner over 20k hands at nl 200(nothing i know), my biggest problem is bankroll management. Not in playing higher stakes, but in wanting nice things as a broke college student and being able to "afford" them with my roll, br discipline is fairly important imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was speaking from a purely game theory and what we can do palying poker standpoint.

However, I agree that money managment is a very big downfall for tons of players. Moreso I think young players. Its so easy to get caught up in the fact that by "working" and "real world" standards poker provides such an easy source of income for lots of younger people getting into the game, that keeping discipline is probably the number 1 downfall.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
22/5/1.5 or somthing. nothing significant beyond that IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know I'm not this much of a turkey, anyone else care to comment?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well written RyanCMU...

let's discuss the playign styles of some of the better NL 100 players then - (and it's funny how we assciate) or at least a lot on here....better being those that play more LAG than the other 'regs'.

- bottomset:
- what makes him a feared opponent?
- what does he do that makes you sqirm or pound the table?
- what makes him difficult to play?
- do you avoid him OOP, why? do you avoid him IN position? why?
- what are some other questions we can ask?

Drballgame (who is he on 2+2? by the way?)
AChen
BigLivesOn

same questions, what makes them difficult,etc. feel free to add names and what makes them 'better' than your regular 'reg'

[/ QUOTE ]

W/o giving away to much about my thoguhts about a lot of those players mentioned. Since I still play frequently with all of them...

-AGGRESSION
-Hand reading
-recognizing situations

They are aggressive in spots where they need to be.

Good players also hand read very well, and use their superior hand reading skill to put their weaker worse opponents to tough decisions and also are able then to extract more value with their marginal hands.

They don't just do things because they are told to do them or because they heard you should 3bet more. Good players are able to recognize situations where you should be 3betting light, firing multiple barrels, valuetowning middle pair.

A lot of players you mentioned also, play a slightly more Laggy game compared to other TAGs at our levels. This does two things for them.

(1) It allows them to believably be able to represent a wide range of hands post flop. Which in turn allows them to bluff more effectively and also extract more value from thier marginal hands.

Example - "Ahh bottomset defiantly would 3bet me w/ a suited connector and this flop of 567 hits him pretty hard" Conversely, "He is always 3betting me light, he doesn't have anything here" and you stack off w/ a marginal hand.

(2) You know so little about thier reasonably wide range, however, they know so much about your narrow range. Someone who is very actice and agressive its very hard to put them on an accurate range of hands, especially for a novice or bad TAG regular at NL100, especially the ones playing shitons of tables. However, its very easy for them to put you on a range of hands and then just abuse you.

Starting to get the point?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:20 PM

I feel like if I say anything, it will give away too much info. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]