Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Ask a College Basketball Coach

I read through most of this thread, but I apologize if my questions have been duplicated:

Have you ever been to Indiana/ seen an Indiana high school basketball game?

In general, how important is the "human psyche" when recruiting? This is a very poorly worded and phrased question. Basically, I'm wondering how much you take into account someone's work ethic, integrity, even religion into account when recruiting. I've always though there was so much more to a college basketball team; specifically you need teamwork and trust and cooperation much more than any other field of sports. Seems like kids with good attitudes that like to be around each other is so much more important than raw talent; especially when trying to pull an upset.

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, and he was a huge [censored] and had most of his assistants run the camp. Most personable college coach you've met even briefly? Most knowledgeable?

Do you guys have any cool equipment? I go to school at Butler and I played a lot of pickup basketball with Lichleiter's son before he bolted for Iowa this offseason, and Garrett told me that they had like a $10k machine where they could literally put in a DVD of a game and pick out spots where a certain player was going right, spots where #34 took a 3-pointer, you could see where a guy was going left or right, etc. and find weaknesses. Just wondering if you have any experience with stuff like this.

How serious is high school baskeball in Texas? Best games you've ever been to? Best high school player you've ever seen? I saw Oden play, but he was nothing spectacular at the time (just a really big kid), I saw Glenn Robinson play when I was like 3, lol, but my dad tells me I was at the game. The best high school basketball player I've ever seen play is Bryce Drew, and I saw him and Tim Bishop play multiple times. He wins out over Chris Thomas and a slew of other boys from Indianpolis and the region.

Might ask more soon.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 PM

can you give us a few stories about benching players?
any stories about players with "attitudes"
what kind of Ego does an average college hoop player have?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got the job because I previously worked for current Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie while he was at Texas A&M...I was the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for a year at A&M, and much of what I do now I did there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOP!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:39 PM

Hey Casper,

What do you think/know about Mark Turgeon? Do you expect the aggies to take a step back this year with BCG leaving?

Will the A&M backcourt be any good without Acie Law? Will sloan/kirk/carter be able to carry the load?

Will DeAndre Jordan be a huge impact player for us this year?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read through most of this thread, but I apologize if my questions have been duplicated:

Have you ever been to Indiana/ seen an Indiana high school basketball game? <font color="blue"> Unfortunately I've never been to Indiana </font>

In general, how important is the "human psyche" when recruiting? This is a very poorly worded and phrased question. Basically, I'm wondering how much you take into account someone's work ethic, integrity, even religion into account when recruiting. I've always though there was so much more to a college basketball team; specifically you need teamwork and trust and cooperation much more than any other field of sports. Seems like kids with good attitudes that like to be around each other is so much more important than raw talent; especially when trying to pull an upset. <font color="blue"> Work ethic and integrity are a huge part of who we (at least at my current school) want to recruit. Religion does not come into play at all. Teamwork/etc is definitely very important to winning, but talent is more important in my opinion. The big upsets come because a team shoots lights out from behind the arc, at least from my experience.</font>

Whats the best camp you've ever been to? I'm talking coaches camps here; I know my high school coach went to a Calvin Sampson camp back when he was at OK, and he was a huge [censored] and had most of his assistants run the camp. <font color="blue"> I assume you are talking about a coaches clinic, where coaches talk about their philosphy/style/plays/etc..? If thats the case, I really enjoyed listening to Gillispie a couple of years ago. </font> Most personable college coach you've met even briefly? <font color="blue"> Alvin Brooks is an awesome, awesome man. Pat Knight has some amazing stories. </font> Most knowledgeable? <font color="blue"> Jim Boeheim </font>

Do you guys have any cool equipment? I go to school at Butler and I played a lot of pickup basketball with Lichleiter's son before he bolted for Iowa this offseason, and Garrett told me that they had like a $10k machine where they could literally put in a DVD of a game and pick out spots where a certain player was going right, spots where #34 took a 3-pointer, you could see where a guy was going left or right, etc. and find weaknesses. Just wondering if you have any experience with stuff like this. <font color="blue"> Im assuming this is their editing equipment. We use Sportstec for our editing, and it can do all of the stuff you said. Here is the website. Basically, we put all our games on a laptop. As it is playing, we use the keys to code in different things...Player A shoots a 3, B turns it over, C scores, we ran play 8, etc. When we are finished, we can go back and look at all the times X event happened (Player A gets a shot during play 8, player B turns it over, every time we scored/didnt score when we ran play X, etc) </font>

How serious is high school baskeball in Texas? <font color="blue"> its pretty big, but is overshadowed by football </font> Best games you've ever been to? <font color="blue"> The state championship games are always good...Willowridge HS when they had TJ Ford and Daniel Ewing put on some good shows </font> Best high school player you've ever seen? <font color="blue"> Gerald Green and TJ Ford </font> I saw Oden play, but he was nothing spectacular at the time (just a really big kid), I saw Glenn Robinson play when I was like 3, lol, but my dad tells me I was at the game. The best high school basketball player I've ever seen play is Bryce Drew, and I saw him and Tim Bishop play multiple times. He wins out over Chris Thomas and a slew of other boys from Indianpolis and the region. <font color="blue"> Unfortunately, I didnt grow up in a large town, and there wasn't much good basketball nearby. Even if I end up doing something other than coaching in the future, I'll always take in as many HS bball games as possible. </font>

Might ask more soon. <font color="blue"> please do! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got the job because I previously worked for current Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie while he was at Texas A&amp;M...I was the Assistant Director of Basketball Operations for a year at A&amp;M, and much of what I do now I did there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOOP!!!

[/ QUOTE ]my weekend getaway was to go to the OSU game this weekend. Who's in first place in the Big 12?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Casper,

What do you think/know about Mark Turgeon? Do you expect the aggies to take a step back this year with BCG leaving? <font color="blue"> I think he'll do a good job and keep everything rolling. He's getting in done on the recruiting front. He is a defensive minded guy like BCG, so we'll be fine there. I think losing Acie and AK will hurt us a bunch...I expect them to finish in the 4-6 range this year. </font>

Will the A&amp;M backcourt be any good without Acie Law? Will sloan/kirk/carter be able to carry the load? <font color="blue">I'm still not sold on Sloan being able to handle full time PG status, but time will tell. I think Acie helped Kirk and Carter more than people think. </font>

Will DeAndre Jordan be a huge impact player for us this year? <font color="blue"> I think he'll be big, but hopefully Elonu can step in and take some minutes...and if Davis can continue to improve we should be solid on the blocks. I'd be much more worried about guard play than post play. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you give us a few stories about benching players?
any stories about players with "attitudes"
what kind of Ego does an average college hoop player have?

[/ QUOTE ]I havent really been involved with any interesting stories about benching players. I guess the only one remotely interesting is last year. We had some off the court issues with one player and ended up sitting him for three games. His backup really picked up his game and became the full time starter. From then on, the former starter had a terrible attitude and created tons of problems for us in regards to team chemistry.

There are definitely a bunch of college players with huge egos, but I would still say that most of them are well grounded.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:23 AM

"my weekend getaway was to go to the OSU game this weekend. Who's in first place in the Big 12??"

Such an awesome game! I hope we can continue to play like we played in the second half....

"I'm still not sold on Sloan being able to handle full time PG status, but time will tell. I think Acie helped Kirk and Carter more than people think. "

I was worried you would say that about Sloan....He showed flashes of brilliance last year but was never very consistent....I agree our front court is going to be really good this year....I think Sloan's performance will determine whether the team will be good or great.

This is probably the first year ever i'm more pumped about Aggie B-ball than Football. It feels so weird.

Gigem!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 AM

How good will A&amp;M be this year without Gillispie and Acie Law?