Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Draw: The Best Play Ever...?

This is from a $1/$3 fivehanded draw game except I think there were only three of us. There was a limper on the button and I folded small blind. Big blind checked. Big blind took four cards. Button stood pat. Big blind checked. Button bet out. Big blind called. Button had card high. Big blind won with a pair of aces.

I think this hand has a crass mistake and a spot of brilliance. I am not enamoured of checking and taking four (it makes you too easily bluffable, ironically, and cite the late great Albert H. Morehead for this view if an authority is needed) and think it an error. The genius is that big blind recognised that button may have stood pat just to bluff him observing his weakness. Once four cards had been taken I think button played it just right (not that I am in favour of limping but as he had).

I cannot recall if button had a flush/straight/ace-king (yes even ace-king gets played) draw but he certainly changed his intention and stood pat for maximum impact.

I think it a brilliant but flawed hand somewhat akin to an old chess masterpiece played down a line now long known to be losing...

Tell me what you think!

If it ain't up to scratch posit a better hand that you know of.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Draw: The Best Play Ever...?

I've been returning to 5cd draw lately and seen a number of people limp then stand pat. I think its a terrible play because they never have that good a hand. The play makes no sense and they always get called.

I have seen more nonsensical hands at this game then any other forms of poker. People do their best to toss away chips in this game. Can't figure out why but I enjoy it.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Zadeh also dislikes drawing four, FWIW.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM

I'm with kurto...people that limp pat hands are generally donks, unless you can count on a raise from an extremem maniac yet to act...why people limp actual pat hands and supposed pat hands is beyond me. It's not a wise play.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM

never limp pat hands unless you have 2 maniacs at the table who will raise every pot then limp and repope him to get value of your hand
gl
Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM

In any way BB played correctly. He HAD call with AA any bet from button, because somebody normal don't play stand pat on the button in such way. BB could lose in this hand after the draw from 1bb to 2,5bb against possibility win from 3,5bb to 5bb(for 5Draw PL).