Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Default 10NL Good spot to bluff?

Sorry no reads, 3rd hand at the table. COs bets just seemed so weak. Occasionally I'll see someone do this with the nuts, but this kind of bet often is either a cheap bluff or someone betting the exact stength of his hand, like a weak pair.

SB (9.90)
BB (9.75)
UTG (10.24)
MP (1.99)
CO (12.26)
Hero (9.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises to $0.45, SB calls, BB folds, CO calls

Flop($1.45): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, CO bets $0.25, Hero raises to $1.70, SB calls, CO calls

Turn($6.55): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, CO checks, Hero checks

River($6.55): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero raises All in to $7.70
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: 10NL Good spot to bluff?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry no reads, 3rd hand at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

That should've been enough to let you know that you were in a bad spot to bluff. The strength of villain's hand takes a backseat to whether or not he'll fold that hand when you're considering a bluff. Also, you only mention your reads on CO in the OP, but SB is still in the hand when you shove. Is SB guaranteed not to have a hand?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Problem is it looks like a bluff by a missed club or straight draw. If I'm villain I'm looking you up if I have any kind of hand.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:04 PM

No it isnīt. Villain is telling you he has a hand. Not a good hand, but trying to take people off hands is burning money. The only hands I try to take my opponent off is A high or a missed draw and the like, and that often fails at an alarming rate. I wouldnīt even raise the flop, 3-way a minbet is often way stronger.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:05 PM

I wonder what hand you are trying to represent with this bluff? You bet more than the pot on the flop which got called and then checked through a turn that couldn't be any less threatening. It just doesnt seem consistent to me.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 PM

it would have been a great bet if you made like the nutz on the river.
other than that...
if u want to raise.. make it like.. 3-4
an all in is just too suspicious
Old 09-11-2007, 04:20 PM

easy answer is NEVER bluff at 10NL. People just hate to fold. That's a little oversimplified, but you need to have the perfect spot to make it work.

The perfect spot would include a few factors you don't have here:

A good read on the opponent -- someone who knows where the fold button is. You can't assume this about 10NL players, who sometimes call down with 2nd pair regardless of the board or your actions.

A tight table image -- this is just my opinion, but 10NL players do eventually notice who's a maniac and who generally has the goods. If you haven't established a tight image, other players will assume you're willing to gamble.

A story -- a good spot to bluff is when you've been representing a draw, and a draw comes in. For example, when you're chasing a straight, and the river is the third flush card. Your story needs to be very compelling at 10NL.

An opponent with K9 is likely to call you here, because he can't imagine what you might have that would beat him. No straights or flushes are even possible on this board, and you sure haven't been playing like you hold any hand in the KT-KA range.

You don't even have a bluffcatcher, so if CO IS buying the pot for cheap, I think you just have to let him have it. Cheer up, this means he'll be playing back at you later when you really have connected.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses. He went into the tank on the river and folded.