Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Default 5CD: Pat-\"Bluffing\" poor 2 Pair?

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum, however, I've been reading here for quite a while. There's already a lot of good advice I gathered here that influenced my draw-player and improved my results. So, thanks a lot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a question on how to play poor 2 pairs. I usually raise into the pot with any 2 pairs, if the pot is unraised and usually fold if it is re-raised (unless it's Aces or maybe Kings up or I know my opponent's reraise range).

Mostly, my pre-draw Jacks or Queens up lose to someone who made 2 Pairs with Kings or Aces or trips in a pot with many callers. I wonder, what a good strategy would be? Makes it sense to pat-bluff 2 pair? Or should I just tighten up and not play all 2 Pair in an unraised pot?

Here's an example hand I played tonight:

Pot Limit 5 Card Draw ($0.25/$0.50) (converter)

SB ($11.95), Seat 4
BB ($31.30), Seat 5
UTG ($24.85), Seat 6
MP ($21.15), Seat 1
Hero ($6.05), Seat 2
Button ($24.05), Seat 3

SB posts $0.25. BB posts $0.50.

Hero is CO with [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

Round 1: ($0.75)

<font color="green">UTG calls. </font><font color="#666666">MP folds. </font><font color="red">Hero raises $1 to $1.50. </font><font color="green">Button calls. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font><font color="#666666">BB folds. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font>
UTG takes 3. Hero stands pat. Button takes 3.

Hero has [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

Round 2: ($5.25)

<font color="green">UTG checks. </font><font color="red">Hero bets $2. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font>

Pot: ($9.25)

Results: (in white)

<font color="white">Total pot $9.25 | Rake $0.45

Hero had [5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] and won ($8.80) with two pair, Sevens and Fives.
UTG had [5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]].
</font>
Old 01-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 5CD: Pat-\"Bluffing\" poor 2 Pair?

This is a perfect spot for this play. Almost perfect, anyway. I usually prefer to have the button when I do it. I don't do it often. I like to be last to act on the draw and I want to know that my opponents are drawing to a pair.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: 5CD: Pat-\"Bluffing\" poor 2 Pair?

here is my thought andy, you are right to be pumping it predraw if you are being called by big pairs, or raising limpers. They are each paying you 1:1 on the proposition, and with 3 or 4 takers, you don't even need to win half the pots to show profit.
Your 7755 was favored over each villain, but now post draw, is it good?
Pat bluff works good to shutdown the action. So if you think you're a dog to any bets being made post-draw...yeah, this seems a great play. Especially good if the pot is huge from predraw cappage, and you want to see free showdown.