Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Playing Class 5 Starting Hands

Hi Everyone:

Today I'd like to talk about a class of starting hands that most people just fold preflop. Most poker players know how to play big cards like Kings and Tens, they know how to play pocket pairs and how to play "any two suited cards"; but, only the serious pros know how to play Class 5 starting hands.

I tell my students all the time that if they can't put you on a hand, they can't beat you. So, I offer you a hand that I am particularly proud of.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $2/$4 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $272.90
BB: $1,174.25
Hero (UTG): $756.00
MP: $828.10
CO: $404.20
BTN: $802.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $8.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $28.00</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls $20.

<font color="blue">This hand is a Class 5 starting hand. It has the advantage of being able to make a big straight with the Jack, a small straight with the 3 and two different flushes.

I am in the best position at the table. Both blinds are forced to put money in preflop without knowing their cards and I have the immediate position on them and am first to act. I make a standard raise to isolate. MP goes crazy with a huge raise which is a sign of weakness so I call to outplay him postflop. At some point in the hand, I hope to put him to a decision for all my chips. </font>

Flop: ($62) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $60.00</font>, Hero calls $52.00.

<font color="blue">OK, that's a pretty good flop for my hand. I hit all my potential back door draws. Both straights are still live as is my spade flush draw. At this point I put out a feeler bet to see where I stand. He raises me huge again which is almost always a bluff. If he had a real hand, he would probably bet $20 to string me along.

I tell my students all the time: It's important to understand that when people bet so transparently, you have to go with your reads and trust your postflop skills. </font>

Turn: ($182) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $150.00</font>, Hero calls $150.

<font color="blue">Based on his preflop and flop errors, I put him on 78 offsuit or 9T suited. Turn is an easy check to allow him to keep bluffing off his chips because I'm ahead 90% of the time. Remember: You can beat all levels of NLHE with aggressive check/calling. </font>

River: ($482) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $20.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $360.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $518.00 (all-in)</font>, MP calls $158.00.

<font color="blue">Now, I know this river play is an advanced concept and will go over many heads in this forum. It's probably more suited for the top 1% of poker players and guys like grimstarr and ImsaKidd will "get it" right away. But, I'll offer it to the few who might understand.

The river play is a Level 4 blocker. I want him to think that I think that he thinks that I think I have a weak hand that just wants to get to showdown. He falls into my trap and makes a bluffy raise. When people's raise amount have a "6" in it, they are almost always bluffing. So, I push the nuts, he calls, and shows... </font>

AK of hearts and Hero takes down a nice pot. Now that we know both the hands, it's obvious villain misplayed all streets and made a crying call on the end. I doubt he even considered putting me on a Class 5 starting hand, which turned out to be his downfall. Also, remember that the second most misplayed hand in poker is AK, so don't fall into the same trap as this guy did.

I hope you all were helped a little and I shall see you at the tables.

joy
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Playing Class 5 Starting Hands

LOL
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM

ahahahahahhaahahah
Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM

[clap] well played, sir. Nice hand [/clap]
Old 09-21-2007, 06:51 PM

Odds that OP had AK?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Odds that OP had AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

50-50
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM

do you offer coaching?

Brian Townsend wants to know
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM

amazing
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM

[x] hero actually played it well
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM

this is a genuis play completely retarded but if you really think about it it's beautifull, how much an hour for teaching me your artistically playing style?