Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:44 AM

Default Etiquette question: sitting out after your button

Please tell me if you consider the following actions okay or douchey. (FWIW, I am thinking of these situations from the context of a medium stakes player, so there are always other games available and plenty of fish in the sea.)

a) You are sitting at an FTP HU table with autopost blinds on. A player you recognize who you don't want to play sits down and the hand is dealt. You play your hand, sit out and leave.

b) You are sitting at an FTP HU table with autopost blinds on. You do not recognize the player as you begin your match. During your second hand, PokerAce loads the stats you have on this player. It turns you have datamined a lot of hands on this player and from a quick glance at his stats, you can tell he is a clear winner and you decide you do not want to play him. After the third hand (your second button), you sit out and leave.

c) You are sitting at an FTP HU table with autopost blinds on. You begin to play a match with another player. About 70 hands into the match, you realize that you are planning to meet a friend in a few minutes. In the hand you are currently playing, you are the big blind. You decide to play one more hand (with the button), and then sit out and leave.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Etiquette question: sitting out after your button

a) dont use autopost if u dont plan on playing everyone that sits.

b) same

c) tell him a couple of minutes in advance. he will not mind if u leave after your smallblind.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM

a and b are douchey.

c is fine.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM

c is completely standard...whoever wants to leave first gets to take the last button, if the match has been long enough it shouldnt matter that much anyways
Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

some dude 10k fighted me after i did C

you can quit any time you're want if you are stuck but if you're winning a lot of times someone is always going to find a reason to complain about you quitting them
Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM

c is standard but doesn't technically seem any better than A or B unless you started the match as the BB. If you started as button, the only fair thing would be to leave after you've posted the BB ... but often times its hard to remember who posted the BB first.

That seems to be the main difference between A/B and C. In all cases you are trying to gain an advantage by playing more buttons than your opponent. The fact that the match has gone on for 70 hands already does not lessen the advantage you get from playing one extra button.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 PM

in a and b you're guaranteeing an edge regardless of skill level, but in c skill level determines who has the edge

but just give two minutes notice before you quit and you don't have to worry about any ethical crap
Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in a and b you're guaranteeing an edge regardless of skill level, but in c skill level determines who has the edge

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't really make any sense. In A/B the better player will not win 100%, just like in C the better player will not win 100% of the time.

Of course, in C the chances that the better player will be ahead when the match ends is significantly higher, but its all a matter of degree.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:57 PM

if you have a 3BB/100 edge on me, and i pull A on you then i'll have a 15BB/100 edge on you, and if I pull B i'll have a 7BB/100 edge on you, and if i pull c then you'll have a 2.9BB/100 edge on me

numbers are just illustrative, i didn't do any work in coming up with them
Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 PM

this might be semantics, but for each situation your edge per hand for a given position is the same (neglecting the fact that your read changes, game conditions change etc.).

What changes is your expected return, which increases with time.