Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Another dumb (semi)bluff

FT 8/16 game, currently 5 handed. LAGgy player limps UTG, folded to me in the SB with 9d 5d, I complete (meh?), BB checks.

Flop is Jd 7c 3c. I check with the intention of folding. Surprisingly it gets checked around. BB is TAGgish. Both players are basically never checking a pair on this flop.

Turn is the 7d. I check, BB checks, UTG bets, I raise, with the intention of betting every river.

I kind of feel like check/folding, bet/calling, and check/raising the turn all have some merit here.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Another dumb (semi)bluff

totally depends on utg's ability to hand read. you clearly don't have [censored], but can he see that?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Why didnt you just bet the turn? Seems like the obvious best choice to me. Once you checked the turn, check/raising and barreling the river becomes standard.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
totally depends on utg's ability to hand read. you clearly don't have [censored], but can he see that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of disagree on the "clearly dont have [censored]" part. When I take this line I can easily have 7x and I can still have Jx or even 3x. In fact I will rarely have a draw here. Against most tags, I dont think handreading is doing to help the villain here.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 AM

The reason to check this turn with trips is because you will always get paid off by ace high. This makes checkraising as a bluff bad. I bet the turn.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason to check this turn with trips is because you will always get paid off by ace high. This makes checkraising as a bluff bad. I bet the turn.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dont think check/raising the turn as a bluff is bad. I mean I still prefer betting by a long shot, but If I had misclick checked the turn, I would check/raise here pretty close to 100% of the time and I would be very surprised if this play didnt work.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Betting the turn is easy money and would have to be considered even with no draw. If BB really bets every pair then he has nothing to play with unless he also has two diamonds. With a player behind him he is almost an autofold. The LAG is less of a sure thing but certainly you are getting great odds to try and catch him with nothing.

The main problem with checkraising is the turn may check through when both have nothing. Then you have given free cards when you could have had the pot. But you'll still get another chance on the river so your checkraise isn't too bad. I just don't think it's best against most opponents.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I can live with all this and don't disagree.

-DeathDonkey

I still dont think check/raising the turn as a bluff is bad. I mean I still prefer betting by a long shot, but If I had misclick checked the turn, I would check/raise here pretty close to 100% of the time and I would be very surprised if this play didnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-26-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didnt you just bet the turn? Seems like the obvious best choice to me. Once you checked the turn, check/raising and barreling the river becomes standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm in the donk-the-turn camp. You and the BB are the only ones who would realistically have a pair here and you're taking the bluff away from the BB.