Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Fall Fashions (and good deals on fashions!)

[ QUOTE ]
Manque,

What do you know about Sandro Moscoloni and Bacco Bucci shoes? I found pairs of each which are VERY comforatble, but I'm curious if you think they are generally worth the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bacco Bucci's are not worth the money for many of the same reasons that Kenneth Coles are't.

I don't know much about Moscoloni. I believe, though am not 100% sure, that they are blake stitched (blake stitching is where the sole is sewn to the insole and upper without using a welt.) If I'm right then they are pretty well constructed. I don't know how much they cost so I'm not sure if they are good value.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you do this now for boots/shoes to wear with jeans where you want to look good but you are still wearing jeans so not well-dressed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would very much appreciate this as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can you do this now for boots/shoes to wear with jeans where you want to look good but you are still wearing jeans so not well-dressed?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah sure, I'll try to do one later tonight. If not, then I'll do it tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I write about casual shoes, I think it’s important to let you know that my interest is in classic, well built men’s shoes. I don’t know much about streetwear, and very little about sneakers. That being said…

There’s a sort of sliding scale between dress shoes and casual shoe and where you want to fall on that scale depends upon what you plan on wearing.

Dress shoes should be sleek, elongated and have minimal decorations. The reason for this is because the English, who got to make the rules, considered a slender trouser with a narrow, uncuffed bottom the ne ultra plus of trouser silhouettes. Depending on the cut of your suit you might get away with a heavier shoe or decorations (i.e the wingtip) but the rules are pretty rigid and there’s not much leeway.

Casual shoes are more interesting. You have plenty of options with lasts and styling but you still want to keep in mind the proportion between your outfit and shoes. To me casual shoes are anything I wouldn’t wear with a suit (the exception being monkstraps which you can wear dressed-up or casual.) Anything that takes away from a shoes sleekness contributes to its casualness. Broguing, medallions, open lace (the sides of the shoe are stitched over the front), rubber soles, and chunky lasts can all contribute to a casual shoe.

Colour is another indicator between dress and casual shoes. Black is the most formal followed by dark brown. Then you have a whole bunch of browns like merlot, chestnut, chili, acorn, brandy, burgundy down to tan. Another option would be two toned shoes.

Different textures or skins will also make a shoe less formal. There are exotic skins like alligator, lizard, or python. Textures would include pebble grain and suade.

So before buying shoes, consider what you plan on using it for or what outfit you want to wear it with. For instance:

With a sportscoat and slacks you could wear

A derby with medallion and broguing. Nice and elgant but with some bulk and decoration. The colour adds to the casualness

If you wear, for lack of a better word, slim clothing

A suade boot. Pretty sleek but the casual enough for going out due to the suade.

Loose jeans and sweater type might should think about something like this

Spilt-toe Norwegian. Hefty, bulky shoe. Not elongated. The spilt-toe and whisky color make it even more casual.

Anyway even if you don't like my suggestions, I am hoping the information that I use when making my decisions will help.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM

manque,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. When I find an apartment in Rome, I look forward to throughly responding.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Manque,

Thanks for the insights...I like learning about this stuff and I really have no foundation, so these posts are really helpful. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

I really like this jacket but don't particularly like the $550 price tag, any advice on where I can find the same/a similar jacket for less?

Link
Old 10-11-2007, 10:57 PM

A few corrections on some of the prices I listed.

Crockett & Jones expect to pay $400-$500 for the benchgrade and $600-700 for the hand grade.

Edward Green. The pricing I used was for their made to measure shoes (this is when you get so select any colour, last and sole that they do) their ready to wear shoes are about $800-$900
Old 10-12-2007, 08:29 AM

corr,

In my experience, you either spend several hundred dollars on articles of clothing or go to Zara/H&M.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edward Green. The pricing I used was for their made to measure shoes (this is when you get so select any colour, last and sole that they do) their ready to wear shoes are about $800-$900

[/ QUOTE ]

Are their MTO shoes really only USD $1K? If so that hasn't changed since 2000.