Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Regional Beers and Local Favorites

[ QUOTE ]

Any recommendations on MN brews (Besides MGD Light?) that might not be popular in WI? I'm here for the weekend and today is the last day to buy beer. Silly liquor laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Summit from St Paul. But I would think their distribution would hit Wisconsin.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
St. Arnold's Brewing Company.

Houston, Tx

Several great brews. The Divine Reserve is a nice treat sometimes. It's different batches with it's own receipe and you never know what your going to get. It's hit and miss sometimes but I've had more good than bad.

St. Arnold's

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, yes, I have drank more than my share of St. Arnold's. Even got to take the brewery tour once. The founder is an alumnus of my school, which is one of the nice little perks of attending there.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
St. Arnold's Brewing Company.

Houston, Tx

Several great brews. The Divine Reserve is a nice treat sometimes. It's different batches with it's own receipe and you never know what your going to get. It's hit and miss sometimes but I've had more good than bad.

St. Arnold's

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, yes, I have drank more than my share of St. Arnold's. Even got to take the brewery tour once. The founder is an alumnus of my school, which is one of the nice little perks of attending there.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just about to post this. I grabbed a 6-pack on a whim last night since Randall's doesn't carry my usual favorites, and jesus christ this is the best beer I've ever had. Figure I'll have to check out the brewery sometime soon.

We're on our second 6-pack of the Fancy Lawnmower tonight and I'll give the wheat beer a try later too.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:48 AM

Philadelphia region:

Yuengling lager is an awesome standard drinking beer. Fun fact: you order Yuengling in Philly by asking for "lager".

Lancaster Milk Stout is phenomenal. It's sweet and creamy but with just enough bite. You can't imagine how good it is.

Troegs is great beer all around, especially if you like hoppy beer.

Victory HopDevil may be the best beer ever made. It's extremely hoppy and loaded with alcohol. It's a real treat. Victory makes other good beers, too, but the HopDevil is the king.

Flying Fish is a Delaware brewery. They make a delicious amber lager which, sad to say, crushes Yuengling lager. Good luck finding it, though.

Dogfish Head, also in Delaware, makes some outstanding beers. All of their IPAs are good, and their 120 Minute IPA drinks like a weak bourbon. The 90 Minute IPA is more drinkable, and at 9% alcohol, will destroy you if you let it.

Stewart's in Delaware is the ultimate microbrewery. They don't even bottle their [censored]. But they just might brew the finest pilsner anywhere. It's amazingly crisp and refreshing.

Cleveland:

Great Lakes Brewing is a great regional brewery. Their Christmas Ale is a lot of fun; it tastes like a gingerbread cookie. But for awesomely hoppy beers, the winner is Great Lakes' Burning River. Hoppy, citrusy - great.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I was just at Big Hunt, didn't notice it though. Thats awesome, I guess I'll have to pay better attention. Do you know any place by Capitol Hill or Eastern Market?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't yet, but let me know if you find somewhere--I just moved out to the hill and live just a few blocks from eastern market..

[/ QUOTE ]

Just found out last night that the liquor store on the 600 block of Pennsylvania, next to Remmingtons (I think that's the bar's name) sells Leinies Sunset Wheat. So thats one more place.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 PM

all,

can someone suggest a brown ale available in michigan? i like newcastle, but i'm sure there's something better, and it might be cheaper, as newcastle is hella expensive when it's not on sale ($9.99 a sixer at meijer) also newcastle comes in a clear bottle so local might be better.

thanks!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:33 PM

And right next door it's on tap at the 18th amendment..
Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 PM

I'm no connoisseur, but the Four Peaks Brewing Co. in Tempe, AZ has a mighty fine "Scottish Style" ale.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all,

can someone suggest a brown ale available in michigan? i like newcastle, but i'm sure there's something better, and it might be cheaper, as newcastle is hella expensive when it's not on sale ($9.99 a sixer at meijer) also newcastle comes in a clear bottle so local might be better.

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get Rogue in Michigan? If so, try their Hazelnut Brown Nectar. It's pretty good, though it borders on being overly sweet. If that's not your speed, and/or you want to keep it local, you can try Bell's Best Brown Ale or Dark Horse Boffo Brown Ale. Can't say I've had either of them though. Believe it or not, Michigan is one of the best beer states in the country, rivaled only by California and Oregon, IMO. How much of the local fare have you tried?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no connoisseur, but the Four Peaks Brewing Co. in Tempe, AZ has a mighty fine "Scottish Style" ale.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT