Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Anyone play the low buy-in Luxor MTT?

They have a couple low buy-in MTT's around $40 IIRC, do they still run these? I'm going to Vegas next weekend (1/18-1/21) and wanted to play a low-limit MTT.

I'm guessing its more of a crapshoot than anything, but any input regarding it would be appreciated!
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Anyone play the low buy-in Luxor MTT?

A better deal is the $62 (including single RB) at the Sahara. It gets 70-100 players, and runs every dat at 7PM and 11pm. T5K I believe, with 20 min levels.

The cheapo tournies at Luxor/Excal/Mandalay are all 30-40 players at the most, and have low chips counts and levels. There is info on the Luxor tournies at the reviews section of www.allvegaspoker.com (and the discussion forums there).

For under $100, Sahara is the best. For over $100, but under $200, Venetian or Caesars.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 PM

This tourney is really bad.
You start with very few chips and the blinds go up quick. If you don't get a good hand with a good flop within the first two or three rounds you are toast. As I also recall, when I played this one a few years ago, it started as Limit and then turned to No-Limit after an hour.
As Las Vegas Michael said save up your roll and play the $130 Caesars or $180 Venetian tourneys or if those are too much go play the $62 at Sahara.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Michael when you say \"best\"

what do you mean? deep stacks are necessary b/c some of the MTTs I have played are ridiculous as to how quickly the blinds go up--.

But how about the competition> To me "best" would be a higher buy-in with deep stacks and lots of fish.

How is the competition at the higher buy-in weekend tourneys?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Michael when you say \"best\"

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean? deep stacks are necessary b/c some of the MTTs I have played are ridiculous as to how quickly the blinds go up--.

But how about the competition> To me "best" would be a higher buy-in with deep stacks and lots of fish.

How is the competition at the higher buy-in weekend tourneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

From CardSquad:

"What makes this guide so incredibly useful is Snyder's Patience Factor Formula, which looks at the depth of the starting stacks, the time of each level, and assigns a number between 1 and 10 for how patient you can be when selecting the strength of your starting hands. Tournaments with high numbers tend to be longer and reward (in the long term) the most skilled players, while tournaments with low numbers tend to be faster and introduce a much greater luck factor."

http://www.pokertournamentformula.co...ournaments.htm

Interesting stuff, and a good list of Vegas MTT's
Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 PM

Thx genejo but I completely understand why deep stacks favor a more skilled player. BUT that's a double edge sword.
Those touneys also presumably attract better players. So I'm not sure that's best.

Best to me would be a deep stacked high buy in tourney with 200 drunken novice players.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 PM

I have played in the Luxor tournies. They were very fast structures, but were filled with clueless conventioneers who just wanted to play a cheap tourney. They play like low level turbos.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have a couple low buy-in MTT's around $40 IIRC, do they still run these? I'm going to Vegas next weekend (1/18-1/21) and wanted to play a low-limit MTT.

I'm guessing its more of a crapshoot than anything, but any input regarding it would be appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

it sucks....seriously bad...11 players at a table...total bingo game.... imho.

Matt
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 PM

The worst part about them is that they start out the first few levels are Limit.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:33 PM

I played in the $62 luxor tourney about 18 months ago. We started with 300 chips and the blinds were 10/15 I believe. I flopped a set and had kings early, which helped. Then I sat back and waited for players to bust out. There were 29 players originally, and when it got down to about 7 it became a crapshoot. We got down to 3 players and it turned out that we all had ~3000 chips and the blinds were 400/800! So I proposed a 3 way split of the prize money, which paid 5 places I think. We each walked away with $290 after tipping the dealer $9 each.