Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Mariners Front Office gets a clue, shtcans Carl Everett

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand your post. We have more than a few prospects. They play in a league which really isn't all that competitive (this year atleast). Do you know much about the M's or follow their team and/or farm system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all the way across the country, so I don't follow them or their farm system closely. I'm a Red Sox fan, so I really only see them a couple of times a year.

What I see from an outsiders prospective is a team who has made horrific and costly free agent signings: $114 million for Beltre and Sexson at the start of the '05 season and then $37 million more for Jarrod Washburn at the start of this season. Giving Matt Lawton a contract was equally as ridiculous, but at least he wasn't expensive. What are they going to do about all these contracts?

Furthermore, they draft worse than the Buffalo Bills. They took Nomar's little brother Michael Garciaparra like 36 rounds too early. Also, there's talk that the kid they drafted 6th overall in the most recent draft had a bad elbow. If this turns out to be true and they didn't know it, that's gotta be pretty embarassing.

I agree with you that they have some young talented minor league prospects that could make a huge impact on the major league level. I used to be a big baseball card collector/dealer, so I've been hearing the names Clint Nageotte, Travis Blackley, and Chris Snelling for quite some time now.

But I don't understand the recent trades. I thought Choo was going to be a big part of their plans. Also, if you're expecting that Jeremy Reed will be the CF of the future, I think you may be severly dissappointed. He can't hit. I know he's on Sportscenter every night making diving catches; but a lot of scouts are of the opinion that he is forced to make these amazing diving catches is because he takes horrible paths to fly balls. (This is one of the reasons why I heard the offseason deal with the Red Sox for Reed fell through).

I know the AL West is having a down year, but the 3 other teams are all much better than Seattle IMHO. Then again, I've seen the other teams more frequently than Seattle this year.

If I'm way off on any of these points, feel free to correct me. I will defer to your opinions if you watch them play every day and know the team and farm system inside and out. These are just the opinions I get looking at them from afar. And the present and future, despite a lot of minor league talent, doesn't seem all that bright to me.

p.s. Thanks for Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand your post. We have more than a few prospects. They play in a league which really isn't all that competitive (this year atleast). Do you know much about the M's or follow their team and/or farm system?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm all the way across the country, so I don't follow them or their farm system closely. I'm a Red Sox fan, so I really only see them a couple of times a year.

What I see from an outsiders prospective is a team who has made horrific and costly free agent signings: $114 million for Beltre and Sexson at the start of the '05 season and then $37 million more for Jarrod Washburn at the start of this season. Giving Matt Lawton a contract was equally as ridiculous, but at least he wasn't expensive. What are they going to do about all these contracts?

Furthermore, they draft worse than the Buffalo Bills. They took Nomar's little brother Michael Garciaparra like 36 rounds too early. Also, there's talk that the kid they drafted 6th overall in the most recent draft had a bad elbow. If this turns out to be true and they didn't know it, that's gotta be pretty embarassing.

I agree with you that they have some young talented minor league prospects that could make a huge impact on the major league level. I used to be a big baseball card collector/dealer, so I've been hearing the names Clint Nageotte, Travis Blackley, and Chris Snelling for quite some time now.

But I don't understand the recent trades. I thought Choo was going to be a big part of their plans. Also, if you're expecting that Jeremy Reed will be the CF of the future, I think you may be severly dissappointed. He can't hit. I know he's on Sportscenter every night making diving catches; but a lot of scouts are of the opinion that he is forced to make these amazing diving catches is because he takes horrible paths to fly balls. (This is one of the reasons why I heard the offseason deal with the Red Sox for Reed fell through).

I know the AL West is having a down year, but the 3 other teams are all much better than Seattle IMHO. Then again, I've seen the other teams more frequently than Seattle this year.

If I'm way off on any of these points, feel free to correct me. I will defer to your opinions if you watch them play every day and know the team and farm system inside and out. These are just the opinions I get looking at them from afar. And the present and future, despite a lot of minor league talent, doesn't seem all that bright to me.

p.s. Thanks for Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those three names will haunt me for the rest of my life. As for the rest of your post, sounds like you nailed it to me. Beltre plays a tremendous third base and has been on a tear recently. I would be disappointed to see him go-just wait 'til next year. Moving Sexson is going to require a pile of cash and a few non-existent prospects. The Seattle farm system is wiped out and Seattle is three games out in the most pathetic league in baseball. I'm not celebrating and I think they ought to be selling off and picking up youth, speed, and pitching. Imagine if they win the AL West. Who gets the effective first round bye?
Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beltre plays a tremendous third base and has been on a tear recently. I would be disappointed to see him go-just wait 'til next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no "next year," there is no way he becomes what he did in his contract year. Look at his stats for his life - even if he was entering his prime, they are so absurdly inflated compared to what he typically does.

[ QUOTE ]
Moving Sexson is going to require a pile of cash and a few non-existent prospects. The Seattle farm system is wiped out and Seattle is three games out in the most pathetic league in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is for sure, though. No one is buying an overpaid first baseman, otherwise Todd Helton would have been moved by now.

Anyway, the Mariners "long-term" plan consists of a bunch of outfielders who play pretty good defense and can't hit, and fringe pitchers who don't get it done. Oh, and they drafted hometown talent Matt Tuiasosopo and gave him a [censored]-ton of cash despite being completely inferior to anyone who has ever played D-I college ball.

They also trade for fringe first basemen who are perhaps league average or slightly better than league average at best for actual prospects.

Of course, let's not forget that they shipped Carlos Guillen out for NOTHING, didn't re-sign Mike Cameron, and refuse to play Ichiro in Center Field despite Cameron having left some five years ago.

Wow, that's a great long-term plan. Real great organization you got there, M's.

EDIT: To the guy who said the 6th pick had a bad elbow (Brandon Morrow), he should be fine.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:02 AM

Not statistically significant or anything, but Shin-Soo Choo hit a solo HR that let the Indians win 1-0 over the Mariners.

lolz.