Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-24-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Questions about the Orleans Poker Room

I play the Orleans a lot.
I think you (O.P.) might like the O/8 games there. They often have 2 or 3 games going of O/8. Sometimes during busy times, they will have even more.

"You described pretty much every Omaha/8 game in existence. It wasn't because you were at the Orleans, it was because you were playing Omaha/8."

Wow Randy, That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I
read his post. Good observation Bro (as always).

Everyone always says how the same people (locals) are at the Orleans but I'm amazed how often I'll be in a game with 8 or 9 people from out of town. YMMV.

The remodel of the poker room is awesome and I still really dig the 24 hour Subway right by the poker room, the movie theater for breaks from poker, their many restaurants and some of my favorite cocktail girls (take care of me and my friends even when we are not playing), and favorite floor people and Brushes.

I find the hold'em games there (both limit & NL) to be pretty friendly all in all. Same with the mixed games, PLO, stud-8 and razz games that went a good part of the summer (well, razz just went a few nights but the stud-8 was to die for).

Hey, Good enough for Greg Maddux to play $10-20 there a few weeks ago, good enough for me :-)

Best of Luck

Howard
Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 AM

I used to visit The Orleans pretty often. I'd stay there a lot when the strip hotels were expensive prior to moving here. And after I moved here I visited it somewhat often for a while. But it finally dawned on me, the place is just miserable.

The dealers are nastier than any on the strip. I've never seen a strip dealer come right out and hiss "why do you THINK I'm angry, sir--it's because nobody is tipping me, that's why" as she's flinging cards left and right and scowling and sighing and moaning after getting no toke on two hands in a row with a $6 pot.

And the players are worse...the 2/4 and 4/8 games are filled with 70+ yo pensioners playing on their social security checks, treating every $4 bet like it's life and death, and throwing things when they lose a $20 pot. If you want to see an octogenarian grandmother sound like a longshoreman who just dropped a crowbar on his foot, just checkraise her on the turn at the Orleans.

The NL1/2 is ok, actually...different set of players altogether. But alas, the same set of staff. I just can't find any adequate reason to go out there.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:51 AM

"And the players are worse...the 2/4 and 4/8 games are filled with 70+ yo pensioners playing on their social security checks, treating every $4 bet like it's life and death, and throwing things when they lose a $20 pot. If you want to see an octogenarian grandmother sound like a longshoreman who just dropped a crowbar on his foot, just checkraise her on the turn at the Orleans."

Wow, I have never seen these tight players when I'm playing at 3:00 in the morning. But I do see them all over town in the early afternoon.

FWIW, I've never heard a dealer complain about a tip at the Orleans. I'm in there almost every night. It sucks that, that happened Bav, but it's not a regular thing.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 11-24-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The remodel of the poker room is awesome

[/ QUOTE ]
when did this happen?

and i agree w/ bav on this one. The combo between the staff/nits in this place tilt me too hard.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:36 AM

"when did this happen?"

A couple of weeks back I would say.

Best Wishes

Howard
Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 AM

It can be good if you catch it on the right bounce. The game is populated by regulars, many of whom are sitting around trying to earn comp dollars by playing with as little variance as possible. The good news is that they tilt fairly easily.

If you go during busy periods, you have the best chance of finding the games good. Count the tables. If there is only one, it will probably suck. If there are two, there is a 75% chance that both will suck. If there are three or more, it's better than even money that one of them has been infiltrated and has some good action.

If you want to play $10-$20 with the same miserable crew, go to the Wynn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"when did this happen?"

A couple of weeks back I would say.

Best Wishes

Howard

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was missing something. Haven't been there in a month, maybe.

I have to second the comments about the grouches at the Orleans. The only times I've ever wanted to take a chair and beat the crap out of someone has been at the Orleans. The players are terrible, but their attitudes are often even worse. And the dealers are among the worst, outside of Binions. It's close to my office, so it's a quick jump from work to poker, and outside of the Wynn, you can't beat the parking situation. But, it's rarely worth the bother.

Even with a cocktail waitress that has a backside that makes my eyes wander to her every time she's in the room. I love that woman, from afar.

It still ain't worth the bother. sigh

CJ
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find the hold'em games there (both limit & NL) to be pretty friendly all in all. Same with the mixed games, PLO, stud-8 and razz games that went a good part of the summer (well, razz just went a few nights but the stud-8 was to die for).

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard - didnt that only occur during the series this summer? This seems out of character for the games that are spread at the Orleans.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard - didnt that only occur during the series this summer? This seems out of character for the games that are spread at the Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only see them during the Orleans Open.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 PM

"Howard - didnt that only occur during the series this summer? This seems out of character for the games that are spread at the Orleans."

Hi TT - You are both right (TT & Phat Mack).

They went during WSOP AND during the Orleans Open (which was pretty much as soon as the WSOP ended).

Best Wishes

Howard