Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: HU Improvement

okay i have a general idea of how to find a villians range now how do i use pokerstove to exploit this? what is the point of this though if you never see the villian in a match again?
Old 11-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Heres a good start for hand reading

thats right
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM

How do you set up PT and Hud for HH matches? What type of numbers do you look for (VPIP etc.)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Pokerstove isn't something that's generally used during a match.

You use it for specific hand analysis after a match, and you use the conclusions from that analysis in the future.

Pokerstove can only show you whether it's good to bet/raise/call in a specific situation.

And when you know how to handle every situation against every type of villain, you will be a poker god, and people will pray to you continuously for suckouts and for their hands to hold.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay i have a general idea of how to find a villians range now how do i use pokerstove to exploit this? what is the point of this though if you never see the villian in a match again?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are only so many styles. As a general rule, you will be able to make strong conclusions about your present opponent's style after a few hands, especially at the lower levels.

I think it is mandatory to learn these traits, as taking out a villain accurately and quickly does wonders for the hourly rate and ROI, because your edge decreases as the match continues.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 PM

Is there any way to find a general idea of most of these styles?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Seriously, with 2K HU matches under your belt you should know exactly what your opponents styles are. Some are very common, some are rare, but it doesn't take very long to dial in an opponent. There just aren't that many ways they mix it up down low. More importantly look for the holes.

Use the early hands to figure out how he responds to aggression. Will he punish a limp, does he understand position, does he always raise, is he too loose pf, too tight pf. How much of a pf raise before he thinks you are serious? Does he call the flop with anything, does he bet draws, does he bet bottom pair, is he passive, will he chase. How does he play a monster, is he trappy, aggressive, straightforward. Can he get value? Will he semi-bluff, will he crai. How often is he bluffing, will he go after orphans, will he fold to a c-bet, does he float, will a second barrel work, can he even fold? How often does he mix it up, can he change gears, what chip level does he panic at, how can you frustrate him, is he sizing his bets with the strength of his hands?

The second thing I am looking at is how does he view me, can he put me on a semi-bluff or a draw. If I am betting can he put me on bottom pair? Do I always have an ace or king when I bet an a/k high board. Does he see monsters or BS. Is he even looking past his cards?

Third thing I look at is my own play against him. What pots have I lost against him, was I ahead when I got it in, did I overplay a hand, was he tricky or trappy. How will I lose the most chips against, are we just going to flip after trading blinds for 50 hands? What does it look like he is taking advantage of, what gear do I need to hit to counteract and exploit. Where do I need to adjust my range to play optimally against him. What tools does he have in his bag, how is he using them against me.

The basic loose/tight, passive/aggressive styles help you know where to look and exploit. They help you determine ranges and read hands, but you are looking for specific weaknesses. You apply systematic pressure until you spot the cracks.

Mike
Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to find a general idea of most of these styles?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a word: experience. I hate to say osmosis, but that is about it. I think Mike gives a good starting point, but that wasn't what I was getting at. Once you get the idea, you want to take out, or cripple your opponent, in the first level (less than 10 hands, preferably).