Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Lost 160 BB in 5 hours...Done with poker forever

I am officially done with poker. I played all weekend from Friday to Sunday night. At least 24 hours. I was in and around the same range most of the time. Then I was up 40 BB last night around 7:00 pm. By 12:00 am my stake was gone, losing 160 BB. This "run" started by someone hitting runner runner diamonds for a flush with no pair on flop and no draw on flo. Followed by someone hitting an inside straight draw J9 against my KK on the turn (4 outer, no pair on flop and only the 8 to hit straight), followed by someone calling a three bet PF and then a bet on flop to chase 22 when I made by AQ hand on flop.

This is just too much. I sat there for the majority of the next three hours posting and folding because I got NO hands to play. My last couple hands I was beaten by flush draws hitting. Once on turn in a good hand (I capped the flop with top pair but he had KQ flush draw and hit) once on a chase on the river (no pair, just calling station to the flush).

I know I will get yelled at for this, but I do not believe you can consistently win money online at low stakes. If you get called down and hands start hitting there is nothing you can do and any BB you have earned are gone even if you play your best. 160 BB, down the drain...in one night. Done with poker.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Lost 160 BB in 5 hours...Done with poker forever

-BBV
-You were playing too high for your roll. It's definitely possible to lose 160BB playing low-limit hold 'em online, even if you're playing well. It's called variance, and if you play over your head variance can be a real bitch.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:12 PM

how much should my roll be to play 5/10?
3/6?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opinions seem to vary on this subject, but I play 3/6 and 5/10 with a $7000ish bankroll. I'm sure some would consider that over-rolled, but it's what I'm comfortable with. I've had a $2000 downswing when I've been very confident I was playing well, and if that had been half my roll I have no doubt it would've affected my play. You need to be playing to win, not to not lose, and if your entire bankroll can get flushed by a normal downswing I don't think that's possible.

If you do a search you'll see lots of other opinions on how much your bankroll should be.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:29 PM

I will say again. If it is possible to lose $2000 playing well. How would anyone ever make money at this over the long term? If I went in everyday and stopped playing when I was up $50 - $100 I guess I could consistently win...but I don't do that. I play for hours.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM

People can win in the long run because there are always going to be players like you at the table. Stop tilting.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is possible to lose $2000 playing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, but I'd bet that's not what happened here.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 PM

happy 4th (3rd) of july! this is a subject that fasinates me. i really DON'T believe people experience these type of losses at low stakes with good play. i think people fool themselves into believing they played well, when if fact they didn't. tne notion of "variance" applies more to situations when your opponents are of about equal skill. at low stakes, the "good" player should have a significant edge over the opponents reducing expected variance. that's not to say it's impossible for the good player to lose many big bets at low stakes. many good and bad players occasionally lose many big bets at low stakes (of course me included). but, both the good and bad players have one shared characteristic when they lose big-they play poorly. even in the given example, there's a lot of bad beats. bad beats lead to tilt (recognized or not). tilt leads to poor play (recognized or not). poor play leads to big losses-always recognized....
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/6?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter? You are done with poker. Whiners are not welcome here. I think they are barely welcome in BBV which is where your original post belongs. Sorry for sounding like a real bitch but you come in here with 5 posts and expect sympathy (and don't say you weren't because you asked no questions and only went on a diatribe of how you suffered one bad beat after another). We have all gone on runs like this and if you can't handle them then you need not play poker. Wait you aren't. You are done with poker forever. Sorry. This was my soapbox for the day....maybe [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM

I had an earlier post about support. I agree with this support, but kinda brutal.