Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather have the damn thing optioned and out there than sitting in my desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding. ignore the haters, dom [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 05:27 PM

I am not hating!

I think it is that most screenwriters feel like they aren't accomplishing anything with their script just sitting there. I would be ecstatic to get 10k a year for having my script sit on someone's desk. Funny thing all over Hollywood. Some actors actually make their living by going on and failing auditions and some screenwriters make their living optioning scripts. Put five out on option and make 50k for the next five years? Sounds nice to me.

I have wrote screenplays and I can appreciate how hard it is. I understand that writers are writing for the goal of seeing their work on screen, not for the money, and when I say congrats they get mad at me for this reason. Artists as a whole are a semi-depressed bunch, you know?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Artists as a whole are a semi-depressed bunch, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

only semi-depressed? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Artists as a whole are a semi-depressed bunch, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

only semi-depressed? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to add: After they see the psych doc.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not hating!

I think it is that most screenwriters feel like they aren't accomplishing anything with their script just sitting there. I would be ecstatic to get 10k a year for having my script sit on someone's desk. Funny thing all over Hollywood. Some actors actually make their living by going on and failing auditions and some screenwriters make their living optioning scripts. Put five out on option and make 50k for the next five years? Sounds nice to me.

I have wrote screenplays and I can appreciate how hard it is. I understand that writers are writing for the goal of seeing their work on screen, not for the money, and when I say congrats they get mad at me for this reason. Artists as a whole are a semi-depressed bunch, you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not hating!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most options aren't 10K.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good for Shawn Ryan! I'm really looking forward to The Shield's final season, too...

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding! To not be there for a series finale of a show that absolutely MADE you and has been with you for 7 years? Part of me thinks they should make up a list of exemptions, Ryan and his Finale being one of them.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not hating!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most options aren't 10K.

[/ QUOTE ]

no [censored]. Most so-called producers always want a free option. I'll tell them their more than welcome to try and find funding for my script, but if you want an exclusive option you're going to have to pay for it. I've found that people put in the exact amount of work on a project that they spent optioning it!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 PM

This is so true for so many other things in life too. It's kind of bizarre, but it drives an awful lot of things. Very often people simply find it impossible to value something that's free or freely given.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 PM

Anyone know if the Wire and Lost are coming back on schedule? I can live without the rest of the [censored] that's on tv right now